PDA

View Full Version : Powder suppliers between Detroit and Chicago

Ron.D
06-02-2012, 04:24 PM
My wife and I will be making this trip in about 3 weeks. I'd love to know if there are any places to stock up on surplus powders, or if not, then a good deal on cannister powders. That is, a good deal compared to Canada. I sure wish Jeff Bartlett lived closer. Been down his way and didn't do business with him, but it would have been excellent. Ron.D

SciFiJim
06-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Just curious. What is the procedure for carrying powder across the border? Is it different depending on which direction you are going (into Canada or into US)?

Ron.D
06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Hi Jim, the laws are pretty weird. I can bring in 8 Kilos (over 17lbs) of gunpowder and 5000 primers per person, but can't order and import a scope by mail. :killingpc I don't know about importing from Canada into the States.

crowbeaner
06-10-2012, 09:11 PM
Check with Pats reloading; I believe he's in Ohio. Not between the two cities, but closer than KY.

Ron.D
06-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi Crowbeaner. Thanks for the headsup. A little too far out of my way, but some good powders at good prices. An "A" for effort for sure. Ron.D

Jack Stanley
06-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Ron , it's time to fill the bus up with people and your wallet with lots of cash . On your way back to maple leaf country you'll want to stop by a little town about fifteen miles north of Kalamazoo . The town is called Otsego and I believe the exit from US131 is 49-B . That exit will get you rolling west on what will turn into Allegan street and you would be looking for 304 West Allegan and a store that has a sign "Schanz Supply"

The last time I was down there Bullseye was just short of ninety bucks for eight pounds . If I remember right 2400 was about ninety-five bucks , I don't remember exactly but the slower powders were in the area of a hundred thirty-five per eight pounds . Winchester primers were thirty dollars a thousand if that helps you any .

You could borrow a bus or motor home and fill it will friends and kinfolk doncha know . :lol:

Jack

Ron.D
06-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Hi Jack. Thanks for the headsup. They don't list smokeless powders on their website, but from your post it sounds like they carry them for sure. We won't be in a bus, but at least we can add a few lbs. to our load and it's not much out of our way. I love saving the hazmat and about half the taxes, not to mention the better price to begin with. Thanks again pard. Ron. D

MT Chambers
06-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't want to rain on any parades but you may be able to import that into Canada, but it is illegal to export them from the USA and they are doing random checks at border crossings. Last time I checked it was only legal to export limited amounts of Black Powder. You risk being barred from the USA permanently.

Jack Stanley
06-16-2012, 07:38 AM
Glad to help Ron , they are a regional distributor so they will have powder when you step in the door .

Jack

Ron.D
06-16-2012, 08:20 AM
MT. Thanks for the warning. I'll check into it for sure, it's certainly not my intention to run any risks of breaking any laws. I'm a pretty straight guy. Ron.D

MT Chambers
06-16-2012, 01:29 PM
It's Obamas way of tackling international terrorism, no components can be exported out of the USA without export paperwork. Dies, measures, etc. are okay for now, just no powder, primers, bullets, etc......this is a US law and has nothing to do with Canada customs. I have heard that they set-up on the US side and check vehicles leaving the US. I believe that even scopes are a "no go"....all because of us international terrorists here!

Ron.D
06-20-2012, 08:16 AM
Hi MT. I checked into it and you're absolutely right. I won't be bringing any such stuff home with me for sure. I didn't realize I'd be running that far afoul of their laws. I thank you for heading me off before I wound up in serious trouble. From what I've read, they'd probably take 5,000-10,000 primers and 20-30 lbs. of gunpowder pretty seriously. Thanks again. Ron.D

Jack Stanley
06-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Ron , they can't charge you for stopping and gawking at all the stuff .... or can they ? You did stop didn't ya ?? [smilie=l:

Jack

Shiloh
06-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Unless you drool.

Shiloh

Ron.D
06-28-2012, 08:14 PM
We just came back a few min. ago. No powder, no primers, but I didn't run afoul of the law either. The really good news is that we had a great time in Chicago. What a beautiful city. Clean, friendly and great architecture. Got to see 3 really good blues bands and eat some excellent food. Saw the Cubs in Wriggley field, and they beat the Mets 6-1. More than a bit off topic, but I did do a little shopping in Cabela's and brought back a couple of legal things. Thanks again for the headsup. Ron.D