PDA

View Full Version : primer pocket uniformer

kokomokid
06-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Is there any big difference in quality between a lyman and a redding or sinclair? Just would like to know if the high dollar brands are worth the extra money?

BRUCE MOULDS
06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
kokomid,
i started with a lyman, and it went blunt.
the sinclair i have now has uniformed all my brass since, and also been used to clean all primer pockets, and we are talking thousands, since its purchase, without any sign of bluntness.
its initial sharpness was better also.
the lyman has a lovely handle, but handles can be had for the sinclair.
another brand to look at is k & m. they also have a fantastic flash hole uniformer/deburrer.
keep safe,
bruce moulds.

.22-10-45
06-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Hello, kokomokid. Don't be afraid to spend some bucks on a solid carbide uniformer. I bought both a small & large Whitetail mfg. ( now out of business), back in mid 1980's..still as sharp as ever. The reason I like carbide is I also use them for primer pocket cleaning..and that stuff is VERY abrasive. Also, by using a uniformer, no matter how mild a load, I always seem to be cutting brass out of there...I think that brass keeps flowing forever..even in mild cast loads.

bonza
06-03-2012, 07:33 AM
I'll second the recommendation for the PPU & FHU from K&M Services, excellent quality.

largom
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I'll second the recommendation for the PPU & FHU from K&M Services, excellent quality.

My K&M carbide tool has been in use for over 12 years. Like others I use it to ream the primer pockets and to clean them also.

Larry