PDA

View Full Version : Anbody from Lafayette, LA or surrounding?

Love Life
06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Good morning all. I was wondering if any members were from Lafayette, LA or the surrounding area. I will be moving there soon to persue the American dream. I am looking for information on neighborhoods. I asked the real estate agent which neighborhoods to avoid, and as expected she couldn't tell me the bad neighborhoods.

Also I would be thankful for any other information on places to eat, work, play, shoot, etc.

Thanks a bunch and ya'll have a good day!

Dick

Goatwhiskers
06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Don't hear much about Lafayette, like you do about New Orleans or Baton Rouge, altho there are certainly neighborhoods to avoid. I would suggest you look in the smaller communities around Lafayette and commute. You will like the area, the city proper is very busy as it is considered the "oil hub" of the state and has everything you want or need and the things you don't. I'll have to check around on shooting areas, the first that comes to mind is the state operated range at Sherburne on the east side of the Atchafalaya River off of Hwy 190. Not too bad a drive. I'll check with my daughter for suggestions, she used to live down there, I'm about 70 hwy miles from there myself. Will PM if I come up with anything useful. Goat

CATS
06-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Love Life

Join Bayoushooter and ask there. Sherburne is good: rifle range, pistol range, bow tower, shot gun range, boat launch. Approx 8 miles of gravel from I-10, 2 miles from Hwy 190, don't dilly dally crossing the RR tracks, the trains are close when they come around the curve. You have to have a hunting, fishing or Wild LA Stamp and sign in. WF will check sometimes and it is a big fine if you do not have one. They put that in state wide to keep the pot bangers away.

Love Life
06-02-2012, 02:46 PM
I really appreciate the information so far. I am looking forward to the move. I am asking about neighborhoods because I will not be able to travel to the area prior to buying a house.

felix
06-02-2012, 03:14 PM
That's a mistake! ... felix

gbrown
06-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Call the local PD and talk to the investigators or detectives. They can tell you. Just explain why you are asking. I'm 90 miles west of Lafayette, but have visited it many times in the last 40 years. Never heard anything bad about it. Also, it is home to a medium sized university, University of Louisiana Lafayette--used to be SW Louisiana. Scott, La. is about 2 or 3 miles west of Lafayette. Small town. They have their own PD. La is the only State that has the old parish system instead of the county one that most States have.

Just Duke
06-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I think Delta Enterprise is down your way.

troy_mclure
06-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I live about 2 hours east, lots of small towns surrounding it. I recommend checking into those, traffic can be pretty bad during rush hour around I-90.

smokemjoe
06-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Before I kick the bucket I want to come down next winter to some nice place to rent , fish, shoot, canjun musice , drink and have a good time, any places in mind. Thanks- Joe

troy_mclure
06-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Also. +100 on joining bayou shooter, lots of good guys on there, many live in Lafayette, and there's at least 1 relator that's a member.
Also advoid western wear and shooters suplies "shooters" it has the rep as worst gunshop in the state for a reason.

alleyoop
06-02-2012, 04:52 PM
You can also check with the local fire and or rescue services. When I was in a paramedic when knew all the bad parts of town cause we were always there for a subject shot,cut,stabbed or overdose.

Love Life
06-02-2012, 07:11 PM
That's a mistake! ... felix

Not really, but I wish I could make it to check things out first.

That is a great idea on calling the local PD. I am looking at breaux bridge right now.

troy_mclure
06-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Breaux bridge is pretty nice, if a bit far from Lafayette. It's also pretty small. I've worked there several times.

akajun
06-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I lived in Lafayette 12 years ago, back then in the city you wanted to live south of I-49 and East of Congress, I dont imagine thats changed, except making it smaller. As far as the suburbs, Carencro is nice I hear, as is Broussard. I had an Aunt that lived in Youngsville which was nice.

I would not Buy a home sight unseen, Problems with homes built after katrina could have chinese drywall, flood zone changes, ghettoed up. I would rent an apartment for a few months then buy, well worth it. If your not from the south, you wont believe the Ghetto down here,can and does make LA and NY look weak.

Gator 45/70
06-02-2012, 11:31 PM
I live on the North west side of Laffy...Close to the Creaux,
North east side..No Good..
..Bandit country...I think one can now pull up crime map's of most city's ?

Love Life
06-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Once again thanks for all the tips. I checked out a few crime maps, but I always prefer to hear from people with boots on the ground. I am originally from around the Atlanta, GA area so I know how disgusting the ghettos can be. That is what I am trying to avoid. I reckon I may as well suck it up and book a flight.

9.3X62AL
06-03-2012, 02:25 AM
Probably a good idea, LL.

What happened? Did NV/CA get to ya?

bruce drake
06-03-2012, 06:56 AM
THe big question is why LA? Job offer or schooling?

Most service members when they leave the service usually head back to their home state to reset themselves or find a place close to where they served to settle in at.

LL could always PM Junior on where to live in LA as well. He's one of our resident Louisiana types on the forum.

Love Life
06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Al-Neither of the states got to me. I love California and Nevada. Wide open spaces where a man can think and explore. Also I don't know what all the hoopla is about in California. It was easier for me to buy handguns in California than it was in North Carolina. True story. SOmeday I hope to come back, and maybe win the fishing derby in Walker.

Bruce-It is for schooling. After many long talks with my wife we are going to take the biggest risk of our lives. We had looked at settling here, but I would have to start one school and then transfer to aother for my degree. At the university of Louisiana I can start school and immediately start working towards my degree of choice.

I didn't want to go back to Alabama and be close to family. We are striking out on our own. How did you know I was separating?

akajun
06-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Congrats on going back to school, I and my Wife are graduates of ULL, Of course it was USL when we were there. I actually worked as a University Police Officer when I was in school. Didnt pay much, but I got Post Certified, got Senior/athlete priority scheduling for classes, and a working knowledge of the University from behind the scenes. BTW you get 9hrs of 300 level Criminal Justice hours for attending the academy.

Recluse
06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, you'll only be about a four-hour flight by Cessna from me when you get there.

You might call up the local VFW or AmLeg posts around there and see if there are any vets who will be your forward recon eyes for good places to live and to help ensure that you don't get ripped off. Likewise, you could call up the local USMC recruiting station and see if one of the recruiters working those cushy 0900 - 1700 duty stations will do a little recon for you.

It's been years and years since I've been down that way. Have/had some kinfolks around the NI/Morgan City area. The kids finished up with trade school or college and bailed out to bigger cities (Houston, Atlanta, Nashville).

:coffee:

bruce drake
06-04-2012, 11:14 AM
LL,

Its what a lot of junior (and Senior) Soldiers are doing now that the wars are quieting down and the current administration is forcing troops out with involuntary separations. A lot of people are deciding to leave on their own call versus being told to go early.

I saw it in the 90s as well after the First Gulf War and its happening again. I just figured you were leaving the Corps since you mentioned LA and we don't have any major Marine bases there.

Use the GI Bill, you earned it. I did the same 20 years ago when I decided that I wasn't going back to Maine after my first contract in the Marines was up.

Try to keep us updated on how things are going during the transition. Its a big step for you and your family.

Bruce

Love Life
06-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Sir,

You have figured correctly. I thought you were using one of those Jedi mind trick taught in OCS.

I'll tell you what. I have faced some hairy situations in my last eight years, but getting ready to separate has me scared white. I am prepared for it, but man oh man the unkowns. I reckoned I will start out working any job that pays (never to good for a job) and work my way up while I go to school. I have given 100% to being a Marine, now it is time to give 100% to being a husband, father, and student.