PDA

View Full Version : BP in .45 Colt

rexherring
06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
It's been years since I loaded any BP in my .45 and due to age, and not writing down my load info., Just a couple questions.

200 gr or 255 RNFP load recommendation and should I cast some a little softer (BHN 10 or less) for plinking loads. I have some BP lube for the boolits. I just want to make some smoke at the range just for fun.

joec
06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I measure the distance from the crimp grove to the bottom of the bullet. Once I know this I add enough black powder to fill about 1/16 to 1/8" higher so it compresses when the bullet is pressed in. Now if you want a lighter load you can add fillers such as wads, or even corn meal which I've heard some do. A normal 45 Colt case though is about 2.2 cc to 2.5 cc

bigted
06-02-2012, 12:15 PM
35 grains of 2f goex will probably be all you want. if you crave more then the old 40 grain load should blow yer skirts up. when i load my 45 colt i use either a 250 grain boolit or a 255 boolit. either boolit will do the job. friend of mine turned me onto the idea of putting mobile-1 greese on the cylinder pin and i get many more cylenders full before it starts getting sticky. another thing i started to do is load the 35 grains and put an 1/8th lubed felt wad between the powder n ball...keeps the whole shebang lubed a bit better and helps my boolits from getting flamecut. i use the blackpowder felt wads and cant remember what thename brand is but they come saturated with lube so all thats nessacery is to load n shoot...dont know how long the lubed wads would keep from lubing the powder tho for a long-time shelf life. mine dont last but the same day i load em ussually.

have fun and im anxiouse to hear how your shooting goes.

TXGunNut
06-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm loading about 36 grs of KIK FFFg but that's what fits in my RP cases under my 255 gr SPG-lubed Keith boolit. I just can't bring myself to load SP for this cartridge anymore, even converted one of my buddies to doing likewise.

bob208
06-12-2012, 09:53 PM
my load is lee 250 gr. swc 35 gr 2f goex through a 24" drop tube one hard card wad one lubed felt wad then the bullet lubed with spg. shoots great .

John in PA
06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
The original .45 Colt black powder military bullet is a hollow-based round nose. A Lee mold that duplicates it used to be available from Wolf's Western Traders. It should be cast from nothing harder than 1:40 tin:lead. Good moist lube. My favorite for BP loads in the Old Warhorse. I'm sure Lee still has the cherry and can make them up.