PDA

View Full Version : Savage 219 --- 30-30

seawolfjack
04-19-2007, 05:13 PM
Does anyone have a load worked up for one of these fellows. I tried some jackets but didn't do what I expected it would. Have some 122 gr GC I'm going to try with 7.5 of Unique behind it. Any help would be appreciated. Have Fun

dubber123
04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm working on mine too, just shot some today in fact. 16 grs. of 2400 with a 170 fn gc seems to shoot pretty well. I need to scope mine, as I'm having a hard time with the factory sights. 1" @ 50 yds. is the best I could do. I tried 10 grs. of Unique a while back, and remember it doing OK too. Good luck.

versifier
04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
That's pretty good, Dubber. Unique works well for plinking loads, and I have good luck with RE7 at the higher hunting velocities in my .30-30 Contender carbine with soupcans and 150FN boolits. Next tests in it are for 170FN and two 180FN boolits.

dubber123
04-20-2007, 04:22 AM
I will probably be happy if I can get consistant 1" groups. I think I got spoiled with my Marlin 32-20, the first 2 groups were .6" and .5". The sights are better on the Marlin, and even the trigger is better. I like the Savage, but you can tell the trigger was designed for an inexpensive shotgun. I may get brave and tune it up a bit. A good trigger makes up for a lot with me.

versifier
04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
It is sometimes miraculous what a good cleaning will do for a poor trigger. Lightly buffing the contact surfaces won't hurt either. I'm not talking about adjusting the pull weight by stoning, or messing with the engagement at all, just a simple cleaning and polishing. Especially in an older gun that has seen some rough use.

dubber123
04-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I've had this one as stripped as can be without knocking out pins, and it was actually pretty clean, I don't think it had been used much. I cleaned and lubed it well with synthetic oil which helped, but it's still heavy and creepy. I think a little stoning is in order.

versifier
04-20-2007, 10:03 PM
There is one lesson I learned the hard way a long time ago: Never start playing with the engagement in a trigger for which there is no replacement available. A little rouge or some clover compound on a dremel polisher is one thing, but a stone in the hands of a newby is an iffy thing. I learned to do minor trigger work on Mauser triggers - if (and when :-D ) I went too far, replacements were and are easy to come by. I don't know if you can still get triggers for those old Savages, but I would find out first. [smilie=1: The person who taught me basic trigger work was so good at it that I simply sent most of them to him anyway - he could do in minutes what would take me hours. Anyone can do a little polishing, though.

dubber123
04-20-2007, 10:40 PM
I have Gunparts Corps. big catalog, and pretty much anything other than barrels seems to be readily available. I will have to pull the stock again and see whats involved. Pinned together guns can be a pain to reassemble.

madcaster
04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
I saw one in .30/30,I kinda like the Savage 219!