PDA

View Full Version : Gave pan lubing a try

06-01-2012, 08:33 PM
I had a Lyman alox lube cartridge and no lubersizer, I also an old toilet wax seal that was mashed flat by stuff being stacked on it. I heated the 2 together and, added some mineral oil and fortified with some Lee liquid alox, then threw in a orange lumber crayon for color. When it all melted I stirred and poured into a silicone pan with the boolits standin on end. I used rainwater in my double boiler set up, so if this works I'm thinking of calling my lube "rainwater orange."

legi0n
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM
we're waiting for the range report :)

gbrown
07-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Hey! You just gotta jump and try it. That's all I can say. It works.

legi0n
07-07-2012, 12:03 AM
tell me about it :D
I don't own a luber and yet I cast a lot.
also make my own waxy concoction

GNILOP
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
WHERE DO YOU GET THOSE SILICONE PANS? I LOOKED IN WALMART NONE AROUND!
garypoling64@Gmail.com

Hamish
07-08-2012, 09:36 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102523&highlight=toilet+ring

What you made lube out of may or may not work. it is made out of, and whether any two rings of the same brand on the shelf, made 6 months apart, are even remotely made of the the same material, seems to be largely unquantifiable.

Historically, a (new) ;) ring was a quick and easy way to lay your hands on beeswax.

Any Cal.
07-17-2012, 02:41 AM
I have been using wax rings with atf and a hard candle to stiffen it up a bit. They have been working fine for me. Not perfect, but my barrel comes clean easily after a range session, even when running high pressure pistol loads. A little smokey outside, woud probably not be that great indoors.

Hamish
07-17-2012, 08:43 PM
gearnasher recommends the Fluidmaster (the 99 cent, standard ring with no plastic parts) wax ring. There have been some very good threads in the past discussing what you may or may not be getting.

geargnasher
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
True, Hamish, but taken slightly out of context. If you want some of the complex, mixed-chain, 22+ molecule-long hydrocarbons that don't exist in Vaseline anymore due to excess refinement, then the late-production Fluidmaster is the way to go. The bright yellow Oatey rings are firmer, less sticky, have less of the liquidy portion and more actual waxes, and may work better for a mild lube base when mixed with a dash of thin oil like ATF and a significant portion of firming agent like beeswax or microcrystalline wax.

Paraffin is really a terrible boolit lube, but it can work in some of the milder applications if you add enough of the right stuff to it, and it's cheap.

Gear

bc1
07-18-2012, 11:31 PM
If all else fails, buy a new wax ring and replace the ones under your toilets. Chances are they need replacing anyway. They will add a little character to your boolits.:smile: