PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding top punch

ShooterAZ
06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
I have the Lee C309-170-F mold and after an exhaustive search I can't find a listing for a top punch for this boolit. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

theperfessor
06-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Someone will undoubtedly post a link to a site somewhere that has that info. If you don't already have one and have to buy one check my sig line below.

gwpercle
06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
I have the same mould and at that time I didn't have access to any top punches that fit that profile. I did have a Lyman punch for a 30 cal. spire point boolit so I cleaned the spire point cavity with a small piece of wet or dry 400 grit , degreased it with alcohol and dropped in a small ball of epoxy putty, put the punch in the sizer and carefully lowered it onto a cast boolit smeared with a little petroleum jelly ( release agent ) put a bit of pressure onto the boolit, enough to start it into sizing die to make sure everything is straight and new nose conture is formed.
24 hours later had a perfectly fitted nose punch. Been using it now 8 years.

I also did this to convert a 45 round nose top punch to fit a semiwadcutter nose punch when I discovered the 452460 200 gr SWC mould was more to my liking than the 452484 225 gr RN. That one I have been using for at least 20 years.
When that epoxy putty cures it is as hard as a rock. It is one way to get a perfectly fitted nose punch when no one makes or has exactly what you need.

gary

runfiverun
06-01-2012, 07:46 PM
you could just buy one of the perfessors good ones for cheap that's correct.

avogunner
06-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm sure the perfessors would be the preferred fit but I use the Lyman #8 top punch for that Lee boolit and it works fine for me.
Jeff