PDA

View Full Version : How much Brass and Media?

hardy
06-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Howdy,now if I,m driving a stick shift uphill I can feel and hear when it,s time to down shift BUT how do you know if you,re overloading your vibratory tumbler.Or does it matter.Do you toss in the brass,barely cover it with whichever media you,re using and let her rip or What???I, m looking to maximize my use(load) without giving the tumbler a hard time.Seems like my last one quit pretty quick and then I patched up the motor three times before tossimg it.Your input will be appreciated.Cheers Mike

dragon813gt
06-01-2012, 10:16 PM
As long as the brass is moving properly I know I'm good to go. I clean up a lot mixed range pickups. I will fill the tumbler up to 2/3 w/ brass and then pour the media on top. That's only for initial cleaning. I don't load it as full with clean media that has had Nu-Finish added to it.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

500MAG
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I've found the best results 1/2 to 2/3 brass, depending on brass size. It all depends on movement. your wasting your time if the brass isn't moving quickly enough.

gwpercle
06-05-2012, 06:35 PM
A good rule of thumb for the vibrating ones is to fill the bowl at least 1/2 way
with dry media. Turn the machine on and start adding brass untill the action just starts to slow down or the brass starts running into each other. You don't want to put in so much brass that it can't circulate easily through the media. When it's clean count the number of cases that were in that batch and next time you will know how many it will take.

If push comes to shove you could allways read the instruction sheet that comes with new units and not have to experiment . But that takes all the fun out of it right ?

evan price
06-06-2012, 07:03 AM
My Berry's/Cabela's I use 5# of brass and 5# of fine walnut media. Works a treat.