PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubing Help

jarex
06-01-2012, 02:16 PM
i am new to pan lubing and have some questions to ask.

First off i need some Lube, since i dont live in the USA its hard for me to follow the homemade lube guides since alot of the stuff i cant get where i live.

Is there some commercial lube i can buy and melt down and use for Pan Lubing for handguns?

Also i need some of those silicon baking pans or what ever its called, so do someone have a link to a webshop that sells them since we dont have those here :(

runfiverun
06-01-2012, 04:22 PM
a regular cake pan,lid from a cookie tin,bread pan, whatever will work.
it only has to be tall enough for the lube to cover the lube groove.

just about any commercial lube will work.
if it's too hard add some vasoline if it's too soft add some parrafin or bees wax.
not sticky enough, add some lanolin,or a little grease.

warm everything together then when it is still a little soft use a case or tube of some type to push over the boolit to free it from the lube cake.

fryboy
06-01-2012, 08:43 PM
the silicone pans are kind of weak/flimsy to hold hot molten lube and a bunch of bullets , they can be used say on top of a cookie sheet but often that cookie sheet would work by it's self
since i dont know where you're at the best lube i can recommend is 50/50 grease ( or vaseline - and those can be found everywhere ) and 50% beeswax ,
many things work with beeswax ( transmission fluid, various other oils and oil additives , animal fats etc etc ) saeco green can be made using ummm catholic church kosher candles ( they are at least 50% beeswax , some even have a larger percentage ) from my reading of yesteryear the original forumla used rcbs case lube ( oil ) instead of stp in the mix , as five stated the percentages can vary as desired for your best use ( a lil more oil/grease makes it softer , a lil more wax makes it harder - the same as he stated for commercial lubes )

mdi
06-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Can you get some beeswax? Soften Beeswax with a little Crisco, olive oil, Marvels Mystery oil, ATF, etc. and you'll have a pretty good bullet lube. If you can get stuff online, check out White Label Lube http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Naphtali
06-02-2012, 01:29 PM
SPG is intended to be pan lubed. It is acceptable for black/pyrodex/smokeless loads to about 1800 fps - that is essentially "max" black powder conical loads. A three-pound bulk pack will last about 10,000 bullets. In Black Powder Cartridge News magazine within the past 12 months, there was an excellent article on pan lubing procedure. It is probably available for download on SPG's web site.

Hope this helps.