PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 loading problem

rjathon
06-01-2012, 12:53 AM
When loading the magazine of a Marlin 336 30-30 the cartridge enters the tube but then backs up past the loading gate when the flap springs up. It appears that taking the gate out and bending the flat spring to keep the gate lower to prevent the round from backing up would fix it but I'm not sure. It loads fine from there it just prevents loading more than one cartridge.

What is going on here?

Thanks,

Russ

TCFAN
06-01-2012, 08:12 AM
I have a Winchester 94 that has started doing the very same thing. I am sure the Winchester will be more difficult to fix than your Marlin.

oneokie
06-01-2012, 08:29 AM
The cartridge stop is not working correctly.

rjathon
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
The cartridge stop is not working correctly.

How does one fix it?

Thanks,

Russ

izzyjoe
06-01-2012, 10:51 PM
more than likely the cartridge lifter is worn, have you taken it apart yet?

rjathon
06-02-2012, 09:11 AM
I have not taken it apart yet. It is a 1949 vintage I think but has seen little use.

Goatwhiskers
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Every Win and Marlin lever type I have ever seen works like that. As you insert cartridges you leave the base right at the gate and push it thru with the next cartridge. Repeat. Last cartridge you push all the way and you're done. The last one drops back against the cartridge stop on the lifter. You can glance at the gate and see if anything is in the mag, drop the lever a tad to crack open the bolt to check the chamber. Here endeth the lesson. Goat

TCFAN
06-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Every Win and Marlin lever type I have ever seen works like that. As you insert cartridges you leave the base right at the gate and push it thru with the next cartridge. Repeat. Last cartridge you push all the way and you're done. The last one drops back against the cartridge stop on the lifter. You can glance at the gate and see if anything is in the mag, drop the lever a tad to crack open the bolt to check the chamber. Here endeth the lesson. Goat

The problem with my winchester and maybe the OP's Marlin is that once it is loaded and you fire a shot or two you can't top off the magazine because the loading gate will not go down. My winchester has just started doing this so something has happened I guess to the cartridge stop.
I have never had a Winchester 94 apart,so I have know idea how it works..........Terry