PDA

View Full Version : Pyrodex?

baer19d
05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
I have some Pyrodex left over from a time when I coudn't find BP that I bought for my muzzle loaders that I want to use up. Can I load that in a cartridge the exact same way as BP or is the a different technique?
Thanks, Mike

joec
05-31-2012, 05:44 PM
I have some Pyrodex left over from a time when I coudn't find BP that I bought for my muzzle loaders that I want to use up. Can I load that in a cartridge the exact same way as BP or is the a different technique?
Thanks, Mike

I load it the same as black powder by column not weight. For example a 2F black powder in a 45 Colt is about 2.2 cc to 2.5 cc and would be the same amount for Pyrodex. Oh and I just loaded up the last 1lb of my Pyrodex RS to get rid of it. With the bullet I was using 2.5 cc was about the right amount to get 1/16" to 1/8" compression. Now I can start on the 4 brands of real black powder I just bought.

Oh and if you weigh the charges Pyrodex won't match true Black Powder but loads at the same column. For example 2.2 cc of 2f black powder is 32.4 gn and Pyrodex RS is 27.1 gn and Pyrodex P is about 26.7 gn.

Nobade
06-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Yep, same thing but perhaps needs more compression. I found that if I really squashed it, it would shoot better. Any more I just use what I have left in my Rem 870 with the police barrel. Great fun at the skeet range to amuse the other guys with all the smoke.

shotman
06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
noblade
didnt think you need any more smoke down there

Nobade
06-02-2012, 12:15 AM
noblade
didnt think you need any more smoke down there

That's for sure! Half the Gila wilderness has burned up in the last week. At least the smoke isn't as thick here in Albuquerque as it has been, some days you didn't want to go outside. That's one nasty fire.

Freightman
06-06-2012, 06:02 PM
We can even smell it here when the wind is out of the west.