PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum mold, burned on lube.

Advil
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
Ok, been casting thousands of boolits on my new 5 cavity aluminum Accurate mold.

I've managed to end up with quite the brown baked on mess all over the mold. Using the Permatex green high temp synthetic brake caliper grease. It lubes pretty well for a long time but has to be reapplied eventually during a long session.

So, is it ok to just let the mold get discolored on the top of the block and inside around the alignment pins/face from all the cooking lube, or am I supposed to be trying to keep it cleaner than this?

Could provide a pic if needed.

runfiverun
05-31-2012, 02:12 PM
as long as it isn't building up inside the mold and beagling it,or plugging off the venting, i doubt there's a problem.

Springfield
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
A switch to Bullplate lube would eliminate all of that. It just doesn't build up. Just saying. A lot of things will work, may as well use the one that doesn't make a mess.

Marlin Junky
05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't use anything that "burns on".

I'd change the lube to Bullplate or an equivalent.

If your burned on situation migrates into the cavities, you'll probably need something like scratch-free liquid Comet to remove it.

MJ

Advil
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Bullplate is no more or I'd have ordered some.

So what IS the replacement? Anyone have a good alternative for some relatively high temp casting?

Casting_40S&W
05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
2- Stroke motoroil in moderation works efficiently and is readily available. Just do not get it in the cavities.

geargnasher
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Advil, member Randyrat sells the same thing as Bullplate, he calls it "zip lube". Look him up in the members list or in the vendor-sponsor section.

I use that caliper slide grease sometimes, I find the color goes away quickly, but it still does it's job up to about 500f. The trick is not to use too much, but it's better for some moulds than others. Get Randyrat's stuff. Your mould blocks should never get that hot, 420 is about as hot as I ever run mine, and that's in the lightly frosted ballpark with wheelweight alloys.

Gear

Advil
05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Just ordered some zip lube. I'll try that, and will watch my temps a little closer. It's hard when you are trying to crank out bullets. Long term I'm going to need another pot and a PID. I can see it on the horizon.

Marlin Junky
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Here ya go:

paul h
05-31-2012, 06:50 PM
If you have a burned on mess, perhaps you're putting it on a bit heavy. Think in terms of the old Brill Cream add, a dab'll do ya.

MtGun44
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
VERY, VERY little of the syth lubes, just dampen the tip of a Q-tip and wipe the top of the
mold, alignment features and the bottom of the sprue plate.

Bill