PDA

View Full Version : Plug and play pid controller

Deerhunter01
05-31-2012, 11:07 AM
I know there is a lot here on pid controllers for casting. Rather than search through all the posts ill just ask my question here. For many years I worked for a custom heat process equipment manufacturer as a test technician and electrician. I have Lots of experience with heating controls. I am wondering if there is enough demand here for me to design and build a plug and play unit to sell. I could put whatever bells and whisles you would like. For now im thinking some indicator lights to show when product temp is out of range and in range. I could do anything though that u want. Im also tossing around an control system using a modulating valve for LPG for smelting. This system would prolly cost double what the heat control for your casting pot. Might be nice for someone that does alot of smelting. So for know im just putting feelers out. In the mean time im gonna draw up some plans and research materials cost. Thanks in advance for your input and ideas.

runfiverun
05-31-2012, 02:38 PM
something that would show the pot temp and control it's temp within 10-20* would really help a lot of guys that drain thier pots down.
once they learned to put alloy in during a heat cycle [indicated by a light] that alone would help control large tamp swings.

mktacop
05-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Having already built PID controllers for my lead pot and my sizer, I don't really need one of those....BUT, if you could design a system for using a PID in conjunction with a LPG modulating valve as you mentioned, one that would convert a "standard" turkey fryer setup to a PID controlled burner for smelting, I would definitely be interested in at least buying a set of plans from you (I like the satisfaction of building things myself from a set of plans/instructions, but don't quite have the know-how to design such a system).

Roger Ronas
05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
For LPG can't you just use one of the ones designed for the electric pots. Just plug in a 110v solenoid (instead of pot) TO CONTROL TEMOP BY SHUTTING OFF FUEL SUPPLY AS NEEDED>

jUST WONDERING.

rOGER

Sorry for caps, due to fat fingers

Sensai
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Roger, it would have to be a modulated valve with a low flow stop because if you just turn the gas on and off the flame would go out and not relight. I guess a pilot light system could be used, but that would be more trouble than just using a modulated valve.:lovebooli

popper
05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes there is a demand for an Auberin style controller. Doesn't even have to be a PID. I built 1 - your target is ~$75. The fryer valve would prob. add $100. Do a business plan first and include CS, repair and liability insurance. Just cause you can do it doesn't mean you'll make any $$ at it. If the BP numbers turn out right, then design it, go back and run the numbers again. If still right - do it.

Deerhunter01
05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Thank u. Maybe ill focus on an LPG system first. Ive tested units that used mod valves for controlling steam heat as well as nat.gas so I know I can do it. I hope I can make it cost efective. Again, I appreciate all input.

bumpo628
05-31-2012, 11:36 PM
You should make the PID handle up to 15 amps so that it has the same capacity as a standard outlet. I could see myself trying to use this for lots of stuff besides a casting pot. Count me in if you could make it for $75 as mentioned above.

popper
06-06-2012, 10:04 AM
The controller part should also handle 220 V. Most of the PIDs are for casting. The frier is probably for smelting so the control loop is going to be harder. If you do a PID I suspect the learning mode and 'D' term would need to be turned OFF.