PDA

View Full Version : New S&Ws. Tell Me 'Bout 'Em.

insanelupus
05-31-2012, 10:08 AM
I've been watching auction sites for a S&W 29-2 in blue steel. Prices have gone through the roof on these, especially considering how many are out there. I wanted the pinned barrel specifically, but after several months of looking have started to reconsider.

I was on S&Ws web site and after seeing their 29 Classic, I've started to consider buying a new one. I can buy it for less than the price of a very good to excellent used 29-2 and I believe the Classics still have the "Endurance Package" (I plan to call the company and find out).

I'm not a fan of the idiot lock and I have read a few reports of the thing locking up on folks. I'm also not a fan of the unpinned barrel, as I know of one which did end up turning.

That said, both I suspect are rare instances. I haven't handled one of these new Smiths and I'm wondering about overall fit, tolerances, and quality. This handgun will get used hard packed around the mountains and will spend most of it's life in a holster and bouncing around the timber chasing elk and other critters. It will be a 100% hard used handgun and no show piece.

If you've had the opportunity to compare them side by side, handle them, shoot them, etc., I'd be interested in your opinions.

The new manufactuered S&W I'm considering. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765837_-1_757903_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Balduran
05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
I have owned several Smith & Wesson revolvers and currently own 4.
My experiance has been that my new revolvers are as durable and accurate as my older
models i have now and have owned previously.
I Would not hesitate to buy the classic.

gunfan
05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
If you're looking for a revolver for "hard use" it is hard to beat either Ruger's Redhawk or Super Blackhawk. There isn't anything wrong with an S&W, but a polished action and a lighter hammer spring will close the gap between the S&W and Ruger's Redhawk by quite a bit. Look into them.

You won't be sorry.

Scott

2ndAmendmentNut
05-31-2012, 01:34 PM
I own a couple S&Ws one of which is a new one with the stupid lock. I removed the lock (found a video on YouTube) and now don't have to worry about it. Fit, finish, and trigger are good on all of them, so based off my personal experience if I found a good deal on a S&W I would take it regardless of whether it was a new or old one.

Also own a few Rugers, good tough guns.

Mal Paso
05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Just curious. Why blued? I have a late 629 and like stainless. Better trigger than Redhawk.

mongo
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I have a 29 classic that I purchased new in 85 as well as a mod57 . The barrel on my mod29 did turn. Smith tightened it up for free. Dont like the new ones with the lock and transfer bar. Picked up a used Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 last year with the 4 5/8 barrel and havent shot my Smiths since. As for price, a Ruger cant be beat. Strong and accurate, If I had to keep only one it would be the Ruger. Tommy

imashooter2
05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
I shoot USPSA revolver and ICORE, both with lock guns. I shoot those games with a lot of other folks that also have lock guns. I carry a 360 air lite lock gun. Neither I nor my associates has ever had a lock failure. I don't doubt that it can happen, but consider it as unlikely as any other failure in a relatively complex mechanism.

paul h
05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
If you get a redhawk and send it to mangaport for a trigger job you'll have an action that is as smooth as a smith, and a gun that you won't be able to wear out, even when loaded to unpleasant levels.

subsonic
05-31-2012, 11:17 PM
I have a 629-4, which is neither old or new. It's very nice and shoots well. Throats are tightish, but I can't remember exactly what number... .429"? The trigger is butter.

I think both earlier and later ones I've handled are actually nicer. It's subjective. How much are the lock guns going to be worth when S&W finally listens and starts making them without the lock again?

MtGun44
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
I have a lot of S&W revolvers. I would not pay one red cent more for a pinned barrel. The
pin does NOT keep the barrel from turning, only from falling out. It can turn about 10-20
degrees before the pin does anything.

The current production revolvers are the most durable and consistent that they have
ever built.

Bill

insanelupus
05-31-2012, 11:48 PM
I like the 29-2 as it is both plentiful and still a pinned and recessed revolver. I like Ruger's, Bisley's in particular just fine and have one I've packed for the last 10 years and have had a lot of fun with. However, Ruger won't/doesn't make my ideal Ruger, which would be the Bisley Hunter Super Blackhawk with the barrel cut back to 4 3/4". I could have it done, and might someday. I can't help but think someone at Ruger could see the market for a short barreled Bisley Hunter Super Blackhawk with the dovetailed front barrel sight and good tolerances.

That said, I want a double action and despise the grip on a Ruger Redhawk. It reminds me of a Webley grip frame and just doesn't fit my hand well. The Smith's are iconic to me, I have a few, I really liked my father's growing up and now I want a 4" to use as an every day packing gun.

As to blue vs. stainless I have several reasons. First, I actually have a spare 4" pinned S&W barrel from the mid 60s and might have a gunsmith fit it someday. Mostly though, most of my hunting is in deep dark timber. The first time you draw a stainless or nickel gun near a deer you'll see they often spot it first whereas the blue steel weapons don't seem to bother them as much.

I'm leaning towards buying a new one and giving it a go. As hard as I plan to use one, it sure will be a good test of their longevity.

practical_man
06-04-2012, 07:59 PM
I've been watching auction sites for a S&W 29-2 in blue steel. Prices have gone through the roof on these, especially considering how many are out there. I wanted the pinned barrel specifically, but after several months of looking have started to reconsider.

I was on S&Ws web site and after seeing their 29 Classic, I've started to consider buying a new one. I can buy it for less than the price of a very good to excellent used 29-2 and I believe the Classics still have the "Endurance Package" (I plan to call the company and find out).

I'm not a fan of the idiot lock and I have read a few reports of the thing locking up on folks. I'm also not a fan of the unpinned barrel, as I know of one which did end up turning.

That said, both I suspect are rare instances. I haven't handled one of these new Smiths and I'm wondering about overall fit, tolerances, and quality. This handgun will get used hard packed around the mountains and will spend most of it's life in a holster and bouncing around the timber chasing elk and other critters. It will be a 100% hard used handgun and no show piece.

If you've had the opportunity to compare them side by side, handle them, shoot them, etc., I'd be interested in your opinions.

The new manufactuered S&W I'm considering. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765837_-1_757903_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I have And do own both old pinned revos and the new revos with lock and mim parts. I love the look and feel of the old blue steel guns. They are functional works of art.

I must admit that the newer revolvers are far better out of the box in terms of fit, finish, and accuracy. I shoot them for ppc, steel challencge and action. They justrun fine without trouble. Theinternet rumors about locks spontaneously seem overstated. Never happened to me or anyone i know. Same withthe muths of soft mim parts or cylindrr stop peening.

I like the new revos a lot. Wish there were more people that didnt like them so i could pick them up cheap. Lol

The best thing about smith revos is how easy they can be tuned up. Adjust springs, recut crown and you are in business.

Shoot and enjoy.

quasi
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM
I prefer S&W's to be pinned, and the older the better. If I want strong and tough, I use my Rugers.

Mimed parts, 2 piece sleeved barrels, you can have the new Smiths.

jblee10
06-05-2012, 12:46 AM
As far as the S&W endurance package. Once they started it on model 29's , they never quit. The Classic should have it.