PDA

View Full Version : Mold Lube

MrXrings
05-31-2012, 09:58 AM
New here, been loading my own ammo for years but just starting off casting my own. Picked up a couple Lee 6 cavity mold and the instructions say they need lubed so they wont gall. Are there any options besides the Lee beeswax/alox mix, I didnt realize it until the order came and outside that I'm ready to give it a try!

mktacop
05-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I've read here that some people use high-temp synthetic 2-cycle oil as a substitute for Bullplate or other mold-lube....FWIW

VHoward
05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Full synthetic 2 stroke oil works great. Put a few drops on a Q-Tip and when you first fill the cavities with lead, cut the sprues and before you open the mold, rub the oil on the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate. Then open the mold and knock the bullets loose, then rub oil on the alignment pins. That should be all the lubing you need for that casting session.

There is also Bullplate lube that someone on this forum sells, but the full synthetic 2 stroke oil looks like it and works just as good and you can get it locally.

MrXrings
05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Appreciate it. I thought there had to be something that would work. Sounds like these need to be kept lubed. On another note I noticed my local bullet caster had a 10 cavity H&G wadcutter bullet mold for sale for $65, looks like it has seen some use, would it be worth picking up?

Moonie
05-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Yes!!!

mktacop
05-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Appreciate it. I thought there had to be something that would work. Sounds like these need to be kept lubed. On another note I noticed my local bullet caster had a 10 cavity H&G wadcutter bullet mold for sale for $65, looks like it has seen some use, would it be worth picking up?

If you don't want it, I DO!!!

Sent using Tapatalk

MrXrings
05-31-2012, 01:52 PM
This one has quite a bit of wear on it, I'm guessing he used it to cast with commercially, I would think excess wear in the alignment pins might devalue it anything else to check for that would make it a deal breaker, keep in mind I'm new to this game. Thanks for the help.

MrXrings
05-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Bought it, model 50BB .357. Heavy Sob. Everything seems to line up. Gonna take some BTU's to warm it up. Look like somebody replaced the wooden portion of the handles and one of them has been welded.

paul h
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
If you don't like that mold, sell it on ebay as I've seen them go for over $250.

Circuit Rider
06-02-2012, 12:10 PM
MrXrings, Welcome aboard! Now the real addiction starts, Boolit Caster. CR

MrXrings
06-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Cast my first ones yesterday, not too bad, they were a bit out of round and had some wrinkles, my thermometer came today so I'll practice some more, surprised at how much more I learned from reloading, looks like there's more to casting than I realized too. I have access to lead at my bullseye range. Picked up 50lbs the other day. It bounces off steel sheets and lands on concrete, perfect.