PDA

View Full Version : Need dimensions of Swedish Mauser Extracter

leadman
05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I've been working on my 1893 Mauser I converted to 7.62 X 39 trying to get it to extract the cartridge case. I had an extra extractor so heated it up and peened the claw part so it would grab the smaller rim on the 7.62 case. It worked but now the hardness is gone and it bents easily.

Midway has a blank extractor for a 96 Sedish Mauser that some have written that will work on the 1893.

What I need is for someone who has a 96 to measure the total length of the extractor and the distance from the claw to the mounting slot. I hate to order a blank extractor then have to return it if it is wrong.

I also had a cartridge case stick in the chamber today at the range so tight I could not open the bolt. I used a deadblow hammer at home and got it out.
This was some Tula 123gr HP ammo I bought. I think it is loaded very hot as the primer was actually flattened so much it was flowing between the case and the bolt face. The velocity was almost 2,600 fps. Normal is less than 2,400 fps!

David2011
06-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Overall length of the extractor is 4.185"
Front end of the groove to the back face of the claw is 1.169"
Front end of the groove to the forward face of the claw is 1.230"

Fwd side of groove to bolt face is about 1.090"- kind of hard to measure without disassembly.

All dimensions are with the extractor in the bolt.

Shoot me PM if you need more info.

David

leadman
06-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info.
I found a blank extractor for a 96 at Midway that fits the 93.

plainsman456
06-07-2012, 08:28 PM
The one they sell will work.Just remove and shape with care.
Remember you do not want to heat it up too much.
I have a rifle chambered for the 7.62x39 necked down to 25 caliber.I used one of these and it worked well.The tricky part is the side clearance when a cartridge is chambered.
Just take you time,these old rifle conversions are a hoot to play with.