PDA

View Full Version : Pan loobing question

helice
05-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm just getting into the art of loob making and have a question for you pan loobers.
I have collected a couple of 8X10 styrofoam meat trays (from the food market). The depth of these trays is about an inch, their bottoms are flat (as opposed to the waffled variety) and I find that they will hold about 150 boolits. My thought are that they are totally disposable and they will remain abundant as long as I don't become a vegetarian. (Fat chance of that.) They are however somewhat flimsy.:(
Before I go pouring my "Goober Loob" into these trays I wondered if any of you had experimented with these trays and what was your assessment of their utility????:confused:
So - Keep writing, cause I'm still learning.
Karl

Ben
05-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't try it........................

Look at this, some useful information for you here. Notice the metal pan in the illustration. I bought it at " Dollar Tree " for ....you guessed it ....$1.00
It is much safer and much more stable than a styrofoam tray.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=34058

It won't get much cheaper than that and it will last for " 3 forever's."
If I might ask ? ? Why would you want to dispose of the pan, most
people that pan lube use the same pan year after year.

runfiverun
05-30-2012, 11:21 PM
i don't know the temperature styrofoam will take, but i know melted lube is 150-f or more.

turmech
05-30-2012, 11:49 PM
when I pan lube I heat the bullets with the lube in its solid form. the lube melts and fills the lube groves. this only works if the bullets are the same temp as the lube. as stated most lubes melt at or near the styrofoam.

fryboy
05-30-2012, 11:59 PM
even the sillycone pans are too flimsy ( silicone ) but at least they wouldnt melt like a styrofoam one would , cake pans , pie pans , bread pans even some cookie sheets are about the best , i've seen folks use the lid off of some tin containers/cans ( such as popcorn containers or butter cookie type things , even ye olde fruitcake tins would work ( ermm unless you have a 9 inch long/tall boolit :P ) the common word ? tin/steel , the foam does make a fairly decent gasket for some bevel based boolits in a lubrasizer die tho

helice
05-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanx guys,
You got me looking for a pan. The idea looked ok at first. I just forgot about the "reuseability" factor.

turmech
05-31-2012, 08:44 PM
As far a disposable you would be better off to leave the lube in the pan after you cut the bullets out of the lube cake. Then create a pan of lube for each caliber you load. This will allow you to place more unlubed bullets in the cake in the holes left from previous loadings. Heat the cake of lube and bullets together when lubing.

fryboy
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
a paper tv dinner tray would beat that styrofoam but even those could get flexible when weighted down with a bunch of boolits

helice
06-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm clearly seeing the error of my ways. Thanks guys!

MBTcustom
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Have you tried "dip lubing" your boolits? Milkman showed me how to use a coffee pot hot plate to melt the lube and keep it the right temperature for dipping. Just dip the boolits until the top lube groove is covered, then wipe off the base and size after cooled. I use this method.

Longwood
06-01-2012, 11:27 PM
I dipped a bunch of rifle bullets today and it worked great.
I did a few 45 colt bullets,,, too hard to hold onto so I will panlube them in some Xmas cookie pans with lids that I will tape shut.
I will leave the bullets in them, then cut them out, only when I am ready to load them.
I tried this last time and was happy with the results.

The scrap yards often have the heavy stainless pans restaurants use for serving.
I have many of them and also several of the big cookie trays. I used two today to make fire-starter with paraffin and wood pellet fragments.
Many, many, uses, and they are cheap and work quite well for heavy items.