PDA

View Full Version : Lyman tru-line junior reloading press

DonMountain
05-30-2012, 09:59 PM
I have been considering purchasing an "antique" reloading press just for the nostalgia of it and wondered what to look for? I have seen some of the LYMAN TRU-LINE JUNIOR RELOADING PRESSes on eBay for sale for reasonable money that take the old 310 type dies. Does anybody have one of these and would like to comment? I have also been looking at purchasing a Lyman 310 tong tool for my 45-70 loading. Are any other "antique" presses good buys? My other presses are Hornady and RCBS, but I am not partial to those makes. :bigsmyl2:

Green Frog
05-31-2012, 09:21 AM
With 110 posts, DM, You've been around the Forum for a while. There have been several threads recently and many threads over the years discussing the pros and cons of the TruLine Jr. I won't go through the whole litany again, but here are some of the things I have noticed over the 40 years I have been using mine (and I now own and use several.)

1st (and foremost) it is a little press. This means it is compact and only takes up a little bench (and storage) space. This also means that there are definite limits to the leverage and strength available to you. Stiffness (rigidity) is limited as well.

2nd, there are two versions available, an earlier, less powerful version whose linkage plates on the sides of the lever go straight down to the linkage, and the later, Y-type plates having compound linkage... but neither of these has the brute strength of the larger presses.

3rd, most die sets available for the TL Jr neck size only. Pistol sets made specifically for the TL Jr were available to FL size, but the low amount of leverage made that a chore if the sizing was very great at all. Dies for the 310 tool fit the threaded holes of the TL Jr head, and generally work well, but you will sometimes find them too short to get the desired job done... I find this particularly true with shorter cases and mouth belling dies.

4th, you can get an altered or specially-made turret head for the TL Jr that takes standard 7/8 X 14 dies, but you still have a very small, lightweight press without a lot of leverage and brute strength. While others will disagree with me (their right) I don't think of the idea of putting a big die on a little press as a particularly good one.

I'm sure others will chime in with more thoughts, but I would also suggest you hit the archives for a rich body of information on this topic. Enjoy!

Froggie

PS The TruLine Jr was from an earlier phase in Lyman's existence and they used a proprietary (J-type) shell holder for it. These may be somewhat difficult to find for some shell heads, but you have the option of using an adaptor to standard ("X-type" in Lyman-speak) shell holders. This involves a special primer punch as well and costs you some much needed space between shell holder and turret head, an important consideration for the 45-70 you mention. And yes, I have loaded 45-70 on one of my TL Jrs... find the J-17 shell holder, though, as you will want as much space as you can get.

buck1
05-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Frog shoots you straight. Light duty press. I gave mine away and would not want another for my own use.

DonMountain
05-31-2012, 10:44 AM
I have a Hornady 007 press and an RCBS Ammomaster for my heavy duty use in resizing brass and loading the bigger stuff. I was looking at this small press to set up for loading maybe 45 ACP or 38 S&W if the case holders and dies were available. And I am not sure how long it would take me to find those dies and case holders. I was going to "restore" it and then just leave it set up for one of these smaller pistol rounds. Just to have something "classic" on my reloading bench. And the Lyman 310 tools seem to be running a lot more money. :coffeecom

HeavyMetal
05-31-2012, 11:41 AM
I have several of the JR. Press's. One set up with a six hole turret for 7/8x14 dies

It has worked well for load development and range duty. It will not replace a Dillonbut it isn't intended to!

For your application either version of linkage will work but I will suggest you find the later version with compound linkage.

Mine will full length size 44mag cases, using carbide dies and a little Imperial sizing die wax!

Shooter
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
I have a couple. I mounted one to a boad to use at the range.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/30514e8099b50452e.jpg

Handy but light. To quote Eastwood: "A man's got to know his limitations".

Bent Ramrod
05-31-2012, 06:02 PM
If you like the Tru-Line Jr., by all means go for it. They are a nice little press, but they were the cheapest turret on the market at the time. I find they're OK for pistol and small/thin-walled rifle cases but can get kind of fatiguing for heavier walled cases like the .270 and the like.

If you are searching in general for an "antique" to enjoy history and nostalgia with while using it, you might check out the one in the enclosed photo. I am surprised that this one is so unknown and unloved at this point in time. I see them going begging at gun shows for $20 pretty frequently.

It is the original Pacific "C" press, a classic in design aesthetics, and once it hit the market, 90% of other loading tool designs were instantly obsolete. It takes standard 7/8" x 14 tpi dies (another Pacific innovation) and therefore can full length or neck resize at the operator's option.

The only downsides due to obsolescence are the upstroke noncompound lever operation, and the fact that the rams are also the shellholders so it needs a separate ram for each shellholder. (The snap-in shellholder was invented by RCBS iirc.) Also, the auto-primer feed is rather hard to find, although I would guess most people use a separate primer system anymore.

Using old tools is indeed fun, but it's kind of the individual's call as to how much "old" he wants to put up with.

Pressman
05-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Ramrod you are so correct about the Pacific. most people seem to look at it as nothing more than a door stop when actually we owe a lot to that press. Its design, its dies and its primer arm are the relaoding tools we still enjoy today. Newer and fancier do not make a good press. Sure there have been some improvements made to teh design but it remains the great grand daddy of every press made today. A truely unappreciated classic.

Ken

3006guns
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
I have a Tru Line Jr. and use it for .38 Special. Although a cute little turret press, it is somewhat delicate compared to even a bargain basement C press of today. As mentioned, some reloaders are using full size 7/8" dies in a replacement turret but in my humble opinion that's pushing it a bit.

Pressman is correct.......that press started the C frame revolution back in the 1930's and everyone started copying it. I got my Pacific from Ebay and had fun restoring and using it.

Just a couple of hints on that old Pacific........

1. Look for one with no provision for a primer feed, like the one in the photo...a smooth top, no lugs...although it should have a primer arm.

2. If it has a smooth top, chances are that there is a S.F. Calif. address in raised lettering on one side......this would be very early production, when Pacific was located on Hayes Street in San Francisco. It doesn't improve the press one bit, but it does give you bragging rights.

3. The early Pacifics used interchangeable rams for each cartridge instead of individual shell holders. I Believe RCBS still makes a replacement ram that takes modern shell holders.

williamwaco
05-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Around 1965 I had been reloading some time with a CH press and RCBS Dies.
I was a 20 year old know-it-all.

My favorite varmint rifle at the time was a Sako .222 Remington. A good friend wanted to start reloading for his Sako .222 Remington Magnum. He felt like he couldn't afford the Sako and the standard press and dies so he bought the Tru-Line Jr. He was also a 22 year old know-it-all but with a new baby.

I thought I was really going to embarrass him at the range.

Long story short:

I don't remember a single time I ever shot a smaller group than he did.

seagiant
05-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi,
Jeez...there are so many neat old presses out there! I had been lusting after a Pacific Power "C" for a while and finally saw one on E-bay for such a good price I had to pull the trigger on it! It even came with one 45 ACP die and shell holder! Also had a original primer catcher. Although a single actuating arm it looks pretty beefy and I know will have no problem with any cartridge that can fit it!

I just saw a Herter's Super 3 go on the swap/sell for $60 shipped and it looked almost new! Bargains are out there just have to decide what you want!

Pavogrande
06-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Regarding the pacific address -
Which is first ? hayes street or 424 balboa st.san francisco ?

My pacific catalog, 48 pages, pocket size, nominally 3 x5" is not dated so address would help.

Press was rather expensive - press complete with high speed tool steel die set was $22.50.

pacific luber & sizer = $10.99

Pacific bullet moulds = $3.50 SC and 6.50 DC

they also made a line of jacketed bullets, 22 hi power to 45/70 calibers.

seagiant
06-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Hi,
Try this: http://pacificreloaders.awardspace.com/History.htm

Pressman
06-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Pavogrande, what number is your Pacific catalog? The earlist I have been able to locate is Number 7. I cannot nail down a date for it. Apparently the catalogs were issued on a less than yearly basis.
I have not been able to locate any catalogs after WW2. The only litrature from the 10 year period following the war is a folder for the Big C press dated 1956 mking it much earlier than I had thought.

After 59/60 during the Deitmyer period I have a good selection of Paciifc catalogs, only missing a couple of years.

Ken

Pavogrande
06-03-2012, 08:33 AM
P---man --
My catalog is #7 -- about nominal 3x6" and 48 pages.
address is 424 balboa street san francisco --
this address appears to be unknown to the pacific history website.

There does not appear to be be anything listed that provides a date other than a patent date onthe sight as 1931 -- so it is after that - --

Pressman
06-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Pavogrande, thanks. You have correctly pegged the problem of dating early Pacific catalogs.
As for the Pacific history website, it is a mixture of good and not so good. The copy on the main page is copied from an earlier work of mine, word for word. I have tried contacting the owner with an offer to help him fill in the blanks, but there has never been a response. After several years I am surprised the site is still active.

Ken

seagiant
06-03-2012, 05:52 PM
As for the Pacific history website, it is a mixture of good and not so good. The copy on the main page is copied from an earlier work of mine, word for word. I have tried contacting the owner with an offer to help him fill in the blanks, but there has never been a response. After several years I am surprised the site is still active.

Ken

Hi,
Yea.....But it's all we have!

Bent Ramrod
06-03-2012, 06:54 PM
My catalog is #17. No date that I can find. But the address is 355 Hayes St. So I guess Balboa St. was the first address.

Sorry about the hijack of this thread, if the OP really had his heart set on a Tru-Line Jr., and just wanted a discussion of that press. As Green Frog mentioned, it has been fairly thoroughly covered in other threads.