PDA

View Full Version : French Mas 1936 rifle scope mount, iron sights shooting high, quick solution

Hang Fire
05-30-2012, 05:46 PM
S&K scope mount for the Mas 1936 rifle is a neat concept. It is like the French built the Mas for this mount, it is a no drill/tap, no mar, solid, secure and quickly reversible back to military configuration.

Mount is pinned and two locking set screws impinge in left dovetail

http://www.thecountryshed.com/3670.jpg

http://www.thecountryshed.com/Mas_36_Left_Side3670-1.jpg

Often read of the Mas 1936 (like most milsurps) shooting high at 100 yards on lowest sight setting. But unlike many other of the milsurps, the 1936 is easily corrected. I did not come up with this solution but found it on the Net.

With the rear sight on lowest setting, push down on the spring loaded aperture, hey, it goes further down. Cut desired shims to size and thickness, insert beneath sight slider to depress the aperture as desired to get dead on for elevation at 100 yards. Some guys use nothing more than paper shims, others use brass or whatever.

Dutch4122
05-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks for posting this as I was not aware of this mount.

You have just helped me solve a problem.

My rear sight is way off and I have not been able to find a replacement that will bring the point of impact back over from the 1 foot to the left that I am currently getting.

Looks like the old girl is gonna get a scope.[smilie=w:

Hang Fire
05-31-2012, 12:49 AM
It is odd the French made no provision for windage adjustment without having to replace the rear aperture leaf.

But there is a way, the front sight base on mine looks to be mounted in a dovetail on barrel and then soft soldered in place to hold it. One could take a propane torch to melt the soft solder and then drift base as desired to get sight on target.

Ed in North Texas
05-31-2012, 09:27 PM
It is odd the French made no provision for windage adjustment without having to replace the rear aperture leaf.

But there is a way, the front sight base on mine looks to be mounted in a dovetail on barrel and then soft soldered in place to hold it. One could take a propane torch to melt the soft solder and then drift base as desired to get sight on target.

Actually, that is a pretty elegant answer for the time the rifle was designed. Consider that they were dealing with a fairly uneducated troop, so the unit armorer would be the "go to" guy they would want working on the rifle. Changing the rear sight aperture slide is easy for the armorer, but not something a soldier with little formal schooling would be eager to try.

Yes, the front sight is dovetailed and should be able to be moved. Too bad the aperture leaf (or slide?) were not made available on the surplus market (or were they and there were no takers?). At least I've not noticed them on the market with a specific correction (e.g. Sarco shows "early style" and "late style" for both "leaf" and "slide").

Ed

sav300
06-03-2012, 09:28 AM
What make of scope are you using?