PDA

View Full Version : Ideal No.1

swallytrip
05-30-2012, 04:10 PM
I just aquired an Ideal No.1 from my grandpa. It appears to be in excellent condition it has lube handel and bench clamp still and instruction sheet. My question and im sure its in here somewhere but what top punches and dies fit it does the newer Lyman stuff still work in it and as far as lube do i just need to use soft lube or can i use a heat plate with this old machine at all. Any info will help me out I have been a pan lube guy forever but would like to cross over into less mess and more consistency. Thanks

Mk42gunner
05-30-2012, 09:07 PM
No idea if the current H&I dies will work in a No.1, but that is where the H&I designation came from.

I would use a soft lube in a virtually irreplaceable unit with family history. Why take chances?

Robert

.22-10-45
05-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Hello, swallytrip. Your a lucky guy! the old 1892 No. 1 is my favorite, & from your grandpa too! Yes, the current Lyman dies & top punches will fit fine. The old-style brass split piston seal can be changed over to the newer style Lyman "O" ring..it will interchange also..I continue to use the original..just recycle lube that ozzed past once in a while.
In my opinion, this, and the later Lyman 45..while not built for heavy use..are far ahead of the even later 450 & 4500 sizers. I have a few of the No. 1's, and every one has perfect top punch to die mouth concentricity, less play in guide rods, and frankly, makes the modern 450 & 4500 sizers look like so much junk!

swallytrip
05-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info as im new to luber/sizer i only have about 3-4 calibers ill even use it for and it had 2 of the punces and dies with it a .429 for my keiths and a .452 ill use for my 1911 the only other i think i need right away is a .358.

.22 can you go into a little more detail fro me about the new style change over since im not real familliar with it. I have the original paperwork to it showing parts i just havent took a real good look yet since im still on vacation. Thanks

.22-10-45
05-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Hello, swallytrip. The newer Lymans have a piston with a rubber "O" ring for sealing. This threads onto center shaft. The old style as in mine, has a split brass coller, attatched to a steel piston head, which threads onto shaft. Pressure of lube forces brass outward against walls of lube cyl., but sealing isn't perfect.
One thing, if you notice the Lyman sizing dies, they still retain a rounded groove just under "O" ring..this groove is for the rounded end set screw of the old No. 1. (RCBS dies will not have this & will not hold tight). Funny, after more than 100years, they are still machining this groove..I'll bet there are some machinest there who don't even know why.

BCall
05-31-2012, 11:55 PM
The Lyman 45 uses that groove for a set screw too, and it was made until the late 60's I think.

RCBS dies don't work well in the 45 and the old #1, but thankfully Lyman still makes that groove!