PDA

View Full Version : The .32 Colt

gunfan
05-30-2012, 04:01 PM
The old .32 Colt (a.k.a. .32 Long Colt) seems to have made a resurgence with Cowboy Action Shooting. While we all know that it is a "heel-type" bullet (as is the old .38 Long Colt).

Is it worth loading for defensive purposes, or should these revolvers be relegated to "recreational shooting"? I have read of some loads that put the 88-grain bullet on a par with the .32 S&W Long, as well as the .32 ACP. While not "barn burners" these cartridges can be deadly when the bullet has been properly placed.

Any opinions, comments?

Scott

paul h
05-30-2012, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't want to be shot by one, but I also wouldn't expect it to quickly stop a neer do well that has put my life or my families life at risk.

Gun fights tend to occur when a host of factors are not in your favour, hence my thoughts are your weapon should tilt things back in your favor, not require everything to go right.

smkummer
05-30-2012, 06:29 PM
These cartridges have the same power as a 22 long rifle fired from a rifle. I'll take any gun in a situation needing a gun but as stated above, why would you if you have anything else like a 9mm or plus P 38? A used model 10 smith or Colt official police can be had for around $300 with holster wear and these with the right loads have twice the energy and maybe stopping power. Its still a gun and that alone may put the cards in your favor but don't count on it to stop when it may be needed. just my .02

gunfan
05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
I have plenty of handguns that can do the job, I was just wondering about modern loads for the cartridge. An 80-grain bullet leaving a short-barreled .32 at 800 fps will leave more than just a mark.

Old Caster
05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Even the 38's were considered underpowered against the Moro pirates in the Phillipines in WWII but they were drug induced and the 38 loads in those days were a bit less but I would rather use the biggest I can use while keeping it the smallest I can. It is a judgement call but if you are talking concealed, a 9mm is probably the smallest of the reasonably powered calibers. Something to think about is when using a gun in a house, it would be best to have something that doesn't penetrate too much so it won't go through several walls and hit something or someone you don't want to.-- Bill --

Love Life
05-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Start poking holes in people and they tend to knock off what they were doing.

leadman
05-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Having an H&R Revolver in 32 S&W (short) I would not have to use it for protection.

olafhardt
05-31-2012, 04:56 AM
My 32's seem to knock the snot out of what ever I shoot with them, bit I still tote 38's and 357 s.

Guesser
05-31-2012, 08:07 AM
I have and shoot two of the old Colts that are chambered for the 32 Colt. The one thing that is consistent with them as compared to my other Colt and S&W revolvers is that the 32 Colt, long or short, is more accurate than 32 S&W or Long. I attribute it to the bullet style. I slugged the bores on all my Colt 32s and they all slug at .312+/-. I size to .313, but the 32 Colt is more accurate. Go figure!!!!

bob208
05-31-2012, 10:21 AM
i would use it in a heart beat. but as stated any firearm is way better then a stick. i would even use a cap and ball pistol. back in the day when the .32 colt and s&w were used alot. getting shot was a majore event because of the medical treatment. infections did alot to kill people back then. i think it was garfield that died from the infection a week later.

i read some where that the .22 kills more people in this country then any other cal.

NoZombies
06-07-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm a fan of all things .32, that said, I think I'd leave the 32 colt with their heeled or undersized hollow based bullets, for plinking if I had another option for carry.

gunfan
06-07-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm a fan of all things .32, that said, I think I'd leave the 32 colt with their heeled or undersized hollow based bullets, for plinking if I had another option for carry.

Agreed. I prefer more powerful .32 cartridges. When BB began producing it's 75 grain .32 +p loads, it came as "a breath of fresh air for this neglected "pocket pistol" (not mini-pistol) cartridge. The .32 Short Colt, still loaded by Olin (Winchester-Western) is a CAS favorite.

I still prefer a .32 S&W Long, (.32 Colt New Police) or more powerful .32 cailber permutation for protection.

Scott