PDA

View Full Version : .475 and .480 Twist Rates

Good Cheer
05-29-2012, 10:22 PM
What rates of twist are working out best for heavy cast boolits? The reason for asking is that I've been cogitating on maybe a muzzleloading rifle to use .475 pistol molds. And, I don't know if there are any quirks that have showed up with heavy cast.

Sturmcrow
05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
You probably know this, but a longer barrel may be able to get by with a slower twist. The greater velocity will equal faster spin with the same barrel twist. Of course, rifles typically have greater maximum range too, so perhaps the factors cancel each other out.

44man
05-30-2012, 09:08 AM
What rates of twist are working out best for heavy cast boolits? The reason for asking is that I've been cogitating on maybe a muzzleloading rifle to use .475 pistol molds. And, I don't know if there are any quirks that have showed up with heavy cast.
Twist, twist, twist! A RB ML needs 1 in 60" to 1 in 66". 1 in 48" can use a short boolit or RB. New inlines at about 1 in 28" use longer boolits or a sabot.
Think about a ML for a while! There has never been better then a patched RB rifle. More power and range just needs a larger caliber.
What you are thinking about does provoke some interest but I can not say what twist you would need.