PDA

View Full Version : .45-90-2.4 with Black Powder

DaveCampbell
05-29-2012, 06:57 PM
OK guys, need to pick your brains. I am putting together my first true BP loads for my Pedersoli Sharps in .45-90-2.4. Boolit is a 405-grain FP. Trying Goex Cartridge first. Somewhere I saw that you can fill the case to the point where seatng the boolit gives .250-inch of compression, weigh that charge and give her a whirl.

That gives me 72.0 grains (by weight, not volume) of Goex Cartridge. No wad under the boolit.

I have spent the last couple of hours searching the Internet for some loading data with this boolit and powder to no avail. Before I load up a hundred of these to try and work out the vernier sight settings, I'd like to find out if this is a safe load to shoot.

Help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Don McDowell
05-29-2012, 07:40 PM
As long as the base of the bullet and the powder are in "firm" contact it's safe.
You probably won't find much for accuracy until you get to around 85 grs or a bit more of that powder in the case.

montana_charlie
05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Before I load up a hundred of these to try and work out the vernier sight settings, I'd like to find out if this is a safe load to shoot.
Don't load up a hundred.

Load ten at 72 grains, then load ten at each 3-grain increment on the way up to 90 grains.

10 at 72; 10 at 75; 10 at 78; 10 at 81; 10 at 84; 10 at 87; and 10 at 90 just to say you tried it.

If you fire those 70 rounds and are still ready for more, you're tougher than me.

Go home and load the remaining 30 cases with the load that shot best, and see if that one holds up at longer range.

Watch your barrel to see if it's leading up, otherwise you can waste a lot of time and components for nothing.

CM

wills
05-29-2012, 08:31 PM
OK guys, need to pick your brains. I am putting together my first true BP loads for my Pedersoli Sharps in .45-90-2.4. Boolit is a 405-grain FP. Trying Goex Cartridge first. Somewhere I saw that you can fill the case to the point where seatng the boolit gives .250-inch of compression, weigh that charge and give her a whirl.

That gives me 72.0 grains (by weight, not volume) of Goex Cartridge. No wad under the boolit.

I have spent the last couple of hours searching the Internet for some loading data with this boolit and powder to no avail. Before I load up a hundred of these to try and work out the vernier sight settings, I'd like to find out if this is a safe load to shoot.

Help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Didn’t we just get done discussing this subject?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=1677644&postcount=13\

The entire discussion: “What BP charge with a 405gr in 45-90 case:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=150098

Hiwall55
05-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I heard Goex is not making cartridge so unless you have a bunch, I would try another powder also a wad

bigted
05-30-2012, 12:31 AM
dont worrie about overloading your rifle with GOEX cartridge. you cant do it...you cant put so much powder in that case and still seat a boolit to be dangerous.

you will find that a drop tube will get you more powder in that case then just a funnel. also dont compress the powder with your boolit as it will swell and accuracy will go the way of the last chicken stealin dog.also if you havnt yet ...slug your barrel and chamber to see what diameter boolit your rifle wants.

DaveCampbell
05-30-2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks guys!

powderburnerr
05-30-2012, 09:46 AM
make sure your boolit has bp lube on it also.

13Echo
05-30-2012, 10:32 AM
If you are using new Starline brass you may need to anneal. My rifle wouldn't make a group till I did and then it started shooting clover leafs.

Jerry Liles

Bad Ass Wallace
05-31-2012, 06:54 AM
I have the same model Pedersoli and my 'working load is 77gn Wano 2P under a Paul Jones 545gn PGT boolit. This is as much as the case will hold with heavy compression.

Two very important things to get right before load development, ensure the boolit lube is doing it's job, anf the boolit sizing and seating is correct.

Most commercial 405gn moulds are very critical as they have only 3 or 4 grease grooves, holding barely sufficent lube to work on the 32" length of barrel. I have a Hendly & Gibbs 420gn with 5 grooves that does the trick.

The H&G and PGT both come from the mould at .460 and are shot 'as cast' and seated .010 off the rifling.