PDA

View Full Version : Found a good load for my 03A3

Freightman
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I have 03A3 with a perfect two grove barrel, shot a 290 in the last military shoot and finished fourth. Well I have been working on a load and went to the range yesterday and it looks to be a good one. I used a LEE 200gr .308 sized to .309 boolit and 47 gr of IMR 5010 with a tuft of Dacron on top.I shot several groups of 10 with the best at 2" all in the 10 and X ring, the worst was 2.25" with one out in the 9 ring, now to refine the sights and I am going to try to win or at least place the 9th of June. Wish me good shooting as I do not believe in luck. O by the way that load has about as much recoil as a 22 mag. and the fast fire is where I always lose points. Every one else does also so I am trying to build in an advantage.
I also used the same boolit with 58gr of WC860 and 59gr of WC872 which was good on both accounts but not quite as good as the 5010, will have to keep working on them as I have a lot more of those two powders.
Got this powder years ago when it was $20 a jug. Wish I had got three times as much.

Hip's Ax
05-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Good Shooting!!

Lower recoil will bring your rapid fire scores up for certain and it sounds like you can get all the points in slow fire too now!

madsenshooter
05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I will not only wish you good shooting, I'll hope none of the unburned powder falls back into the chamber to mess with your rapid fire.

Freightman
05-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I will not only wish you good shooting, I'll hope none of the unburned powder falls back into the chamber to mess with your rapid fire.
Never have any, I keep hearing about that but haven't experienced it as of yet.
I have on my 45/70's but there is an easy fix for that.