PDA

View Full Version : Thumlers Tumbler Belt

BossHoss
05-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Anyone ever find a replacement belt that crosses from a vaccuum cleaner?

I broke my belt right away, as it was old stock and dried out, it cracked after the first hour or so.

Just wondering if any of you guys prefer the Orig replacement or a sub you happen to have found.

Mine was dried and had a few visible cracks before I ever used it.

Old Stock clear one, .....tumbler probably sat for a few years before I took it out of the box. Bought it for 25 bucks at a swap. Great deal.

jcwit
05-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Got mine from an industrial bearing supply company called Berry Bearings years ago. Today I believe they're called Motion Industries, they are country wide.

gwpercle
05-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Wall Mart, vacuum cleaner section has replacement belts . This one fits my large thumbler's tumbler, the big red one with rubber liner and flat top that attaches with wing nuts. DURABELT # 65100 fits Eureka models 400, 1400, 1900, 2000, 4000, 5000, 6400 and series 7500. the package is $2.50 and contains 2 belts.

That price was 1 1/2 years ago...still using the first belt so I don't know if current price. But seems to work just fine and much easier to find than industrial belts. I used them along with factory and I will continue buying the vacuum belts.... much cheaper , easier to find and works just as good if not better. this belt is just a bit thicker but is same diameter. Bring your old belt and keep comparing them to those on rack if your thumbler is not the big one.

W.R.Buchanan
05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Any Hydraulic Repair Shop or Bearing house can provide you with any size O ring you can imagine.

Randy

1845greyhounds
05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
Here's a link to an online source of Thumbler's Tumber parts. Looks like $6 for the o-ring and $7 for shipping...

http://rocktumbler.com/thumlers/tumbler-parts.shtml

gwpercle
05-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I have also tried the o-ring route. Vacuum cleaner belts out last them too. I not only use mine for tumbling cases but also for polishing rocks. You load the tumbler with rocks , polishing grit and water then let it run continuously for weeks at a time for the course, medium fine and polish grits believe me I have tried everything I can think of for belts. Vacuum cleaner belts last the longest and are $1.25 each no postage or handling. TRY EM

Recluse
05-29-2012, 11:21 PM
I've had the exact opposite with vacuum cleaner belts. They start disentegrating and break after maybe ten or so hours of use.

I just order the originals from the OEM and buy two extras. Last time I bought belts was six years ago, and I still have the two extras. It took me over twenty years to run through two belts on my Thumler's--and bear in mind that this tumbler runs almost every single day for at least twelve to eighteen hours at a stretch.

:coffee:

BossHoss
05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Ok, thanks. I will try a vacuum belt , for sure at least once.

I would imagine the correct fit is everything.

The original was just old yellowed , cracked.

I expect mine to be running quite often, also.

BossHoss
08-09-2012, 07:21 PM
HI,

Yes, Durabelt 52100c or Eureka RD style , big fat perfect fitting belt.

Much more stout than the thin clear belt I received with mine.

My original belt was yellowed and dried out BEFORE I ever used it. My Thumlers Model B sat in the box unused for years by it's previous owner.

for 2.54 at WallyWorld i got two big fat black rubber belts. One is going back in the package , and getting taped to the bottom of the tumbler.

I purchased pins from STM, the sponsor here .

Can;t wait to try it out.

Moonie
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
HI,

Yes, Durabelt 52100c or Eureka RD style , big fat perfect fitting belt.

Much more stout than the thin clear belt I received with mine.

My original belt was yellowed and dried out BEFORE I ever used it. My Thumlers Model B sat in the box unused for years by it's previous owner.

for 2.54 at WallyWorld i got two big fat black rubber belts. One is going back in the package , and getting taped to the bottom of the tumbler.

I purchased pins from STM, the sponsor here .

Can;t wait to try it out.

You will not be disappointed, only downside is separating pins from brass.

traderpats
08-10-2012, 04:18 PM
You will not be disappointed, only downside is separating pins from brass.

My technique it to place appropriate colander over a 5 gal bucket. After initial rinses in the drum until water runs clear dump brass / pins into colander. Place this setup under a spigot or high faucet. Agitate vigorously by hand while running water over the brass / pins. Don't need a lot of water flow.

The water helps suspend the pins momentarily and then washes them through the slits in the colander, (slits work better than round holes), into the bucket. Dump the water and let pins dry. Only takes a minute and depending on the brass this technique is 100% or very close to it. Still need to check for really jammed pins but agitate roughly while rinsing and you won't find many. Hope that helps....

Edit: Damn, first post here? Really? Guess I need to get online more....

Sonnypie
08-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I tried using my numerous other sifters to separate the pins/brass, but I wound up getting a tumbling separator (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=731858) and have been really happy with that.
Glad to read about the belts. I was at WalMart for a belt for our rug cleaner and really pleased to see they had such a nice assortment.
I should see if I can find one for my old key cutter...

Horace
08-11-2012, 12:54 AM
On my thumbler the two ends can be melted placed together.There called urethane round belting.

Horace

zuke
08-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I have also tried the o-ring route. Vacuum cleaner belts out last them too. I not only use mine for tumbling cases but also for polishing rocks. You load the tumbler with rocks , polishing grit and water then let it run continuously for weeks at a time for the course, medium fine and polish grits believe me I have tried everything I can think of for belts. Vacuum cleaner belts last the longest and are $1.25 each no postage or handling. TRY EM

Link, part # and all other info needed Please :D

shotman
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Wall Mart, vacuum cleaner section has replacement belts . This one fits my large thumbler's tumbler, the big red one with rubber liner and flat top that attaches with wing nuts. DURABELT # 65100 fits Eureka models 400, 1400, 1900, 2000, 4000, 5000, 6400 and series 7500. the package is $2.50 and contains 2 belts.

That price was 1 1/2 years ago...still using the first belt so I don't know if current price. But seems to work just fine and much easier to find than industrial belts. I used them along with factory and I will continue buying the vacuum belts.... much cheaper , easier to find and works just as good if not better. this belt is just a bit thicker but is same diameter. Bring your old belt and keep comparing them to those on rack if your thumbler is not the big one.

zuke these and a Hoover belt

BossHoss
08-11-2012, 11:38 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Durabelt-Vacuum-Belt-Eureka-RD/17203480

I use a Cabelas separator and it leaves a little to be desired , but it is a tight seal and you wont lose pins ONCE you get the mix in the basket.

You may lose few getting the basket loaded , it flops around, and it's kinda cheeesey. But once the basket is loaded, and you close the lid and get pins in the bottom and little water to cover them.

Still,

this is a messy system, with little pins that can escape, launch,carrrrang, boomarang, carreeen ,...

The results .....awesome, ....weighed against hassle......YMMV.

Just after a few washes, I am on the fence with the hassle vs. results for my needs.

zuke
08-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Thank's guy's, guess I'll head to Walmart for lunch and some browsing time.

Recluse
08-12-2012, 01:25 PM
this is a messy system, with little pins that can escape, launch,carrrrang, boomarang, carreeen ,...

The results .....awesome, ....weighed against hassle......YMMV.

Just after a few washes, I am on the fence with the hassle vs. results for my needs.

I've gone back to my pet store ground walnut/mineral spirits/NuFinish mix in the Thumlers. I load up the brass the night before, set the timer to run all night and the next day, pop the top and I've got blindingly shiny, clean brass.

I pour it out in a pan-like colander with the media going into the five-gallon bucket below it and that's that--clean brass.

The water mess and drying and checking each piece of brass for a stuck pin got old REAL FAST--as in by the third time.

zuke
08-12-2012, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=checking each piece of brass for a stuck pin got old REAL FAST--as in by the third time.

:coffee:[/QUOTE]

If I remember right I had to look at my primer pocket's/flash hole's for stuck media. when I used that type of system.

Recluse
08-13-2012, 01:33 AM
If I remember right I had to look at my primer pocket's/flash hole's for stuck media. when I used that type of system.

I rarely deprime before I tumble. When I do, I use a finer walnut media that doesn't get stuck in the primer pocket/flash hole.

OR, whenever I've deprimed then tumbled, I've only de-primed without sizing. When I run the brass through the sizing die, I leave the decapping pin in and any media still in the flash-hole is removed.

Not a thing against the stainless steel media except that it's just too much work for too little return compared to the way I've been doing it for forty years.

It (ss media) will still see some use, especially with brass I pick up from outdoor ranges that has dirt/crud in it as well as severely tarnished brass and brass that I'll be storing for long-term.

But for my average day-to-day stuff, back to the walnut/ms/NF.

zuke
10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
I went to Walmart Canada and they don't have ANY of the listed belt's. so I went to a vacum place and asked for :Eureka RD style , big fat perfect fitting belt.

And he had them. Haven't tried it yet but it sure does fit the grove a lot tighter.