PDA

View Full Version : Hornady PTX Expander

taminsong
05-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I got a lot of headaches with the expander that I got from Hornady.
I was thinking that maybe someone will honcho if possible, a group buy for a machined Hornady Expander that is patterned like a Lyman M die.

I suggest to pattern the design like the M die because the inside of the case is really expanded and it won't swage down the slug as you seat it.

I go to a machine shop route here but the end result is not desirable. It would be better if the one who will do the machining is a reloader himself so he understands.

This is the cal. of PTX that I myself want:

45acp, 40SW, 357/38spl, 9mm, 38Super, 30M1, 223, 308/306

I'm really not sure if a PTX could be done for rifle calibers. Some of our more knowledgeable members can enlightened the group.

If in case there is already somebody making it, please give info/link.

I've searched the net but what I got is the thing sold by powderfunnels.com which I think will just bell the case but won't expand it.

lup
05-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I got a lot of headaches with the expander that I got from Hornady.
I was thinking that maybe someone will honcho if possible, a group buy for a machined Hornady Expander that is patterned like a Lyman M die.

I suggest to pattern the design like the M die because the inside of the case is really expanded and it won't swage down the slug as you seat it.

I go to a machine shop route here but the end result is not desirable. It would be better if the one who will do the machining is a reloader himself so he understands.

This is the cal. of PTX that I myself want:

45acp, 40SW, 357/38spl, 9mm, 38Super, 30M1, 223, 308/306

I'm really not sure if a PTX could be done for rifle calibers. Some of our more knowledgeable members can enlightened the group.

If in case there is already somebody making it, please give info/link.

I've searched the net but what I got is the thing sold by powderfunnels.com which I think will just bell the case but won't expand it.

Do you have an idea of the dimensions? We've got hordes of machinist and mechanically inclined types who might be able to produce something like this.

LUP

JeffHolt
05-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Powderfunnels.com
They make a pretty good universal pistol powder through expander gizmo for the Hornady LNL.
$30.00 shipped

Oreo
05-31-2012, 12:36 AM
I love mine but I haven't tried it with lead yet. I think its design intent was to stop shaving lead but I'm not so sure about keeping the case from swagging the bullet down in size.

taminsong
06-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Do you have an idea of the dimensions? We've got hordes of machinist and mechanically inclined types who might be able to produce something like this.

LUP

My idea is to make an expander like the Lyman M die for the calibers needed, but with a hole inside for the powder to pass. It will be like a Hornady PTX and Lyman M die hybrid, :D!