PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

baer19d
05-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Do I need to use soft lead bullets for BP cartidges, specifcaly 45-70 trapdoor or will wheel weight lead work? Also is the use of a wad always necessary and what are some good homemade sources?
Thanks, Mike

hightime
05-28-2012, 05:07 PM
I think so, at least that's what I was told. I bought about a million of them from Buffalo Arms for a few bucks. I use wheel weight lead all the time. I think a wad keep lube from getting into powder. A soft lead bullet might work better for you. It depends on the gun. The joy is in the trying.

Owen

TXGunNut
05-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Relatively speaking mine are pretty soft (20-30 to one lead to tin) but that seems to vary depending on the rifle and the load. Just guessing but I'm thinking I'd start out pretty soft for the trapdoor. I buy and use overpowder wads for BP rifle cartridges but they can be easily made with the proper punch and wad material. I've used them in 45 Colt cartridges as well but not sure they're necessary.

John Boy
05-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Scroll to the bottom of the Trapdoor website for loading data that will answer all the questions you asked ... http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/shooterstext.html

bigted
05-28-2012, 08:03 PM
also welcome to the forum. have a blast here. directly the wheel weights should do fine for a start and the wads are something you should experiment with. overall the wads are primarilly to keep the base of your boolit from getting flame cut and depositeing lead on the first few inches of barrel. some need em and some dont...experiment to see. also slug your barrel to see what it wants for diameter.

baer19d
05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll do some research and load some up.