PDA

View Full Version : Die swapping on Hornady Presses

05-28-2012, 11:56 AM
I have a Hornady LNL progressive. I'm pleased with this press, but have a need for a non-progressive press for obvious reasons. All brands are an option. However, I really like the quick change feature that Hornady provides regarding the die adapters. If I were to go with the Hornady single stage press, would the dies swap over directly between the progressive and single stage?...or would I need to re-adjust each time I switch presses?

buyobuyo
05-28-2012, 12:26 PM
I have both the LNL AP and LNL single stage. I don't do a lot of swapping back and for, but I don't remember having to do a lot of re-adjusting the 2-3 that I have swapped dies around.

Wal'
05-28-2012, 12:31 PM
And if you buy another brand the HORNADY LNL PRESS BUSHING will fit most other single stage presses.

05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
And if you buy another brand the HORNADY LNL PRESS BUSHING will fit most other single stage presses.

I don't understand how that will work. .? It wouldn't have to be drilled and tapped?

Wal'
05-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't understand how that will work. .? It wouldn't have to be drilled and tapped?

If you look at most of the larger single stage presses they have a threaded insert for the standard dies.

You remove this & screw in the LNL insert sold by Hornady.

1hole
05-29-2012, 08:29 AM
"If I were to go with the Hornady single stage press, would the dies swap over directly between the progressive and single stage?..."

At the core of this question is; "Are any presses made to the consistancy tolerances of the space shuttle?" The answer is; "No."

05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Thank you mission commander 1hole. ;-)

thehouseproduct
05-31-2012, 01:15 AM
You need to make a custom spacer ring so the distance from shellplate to top of busing is identical. I will look for the link.

thehouseproduct
05-31-2012, 01:31 AM
http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/06/06/calibrating-lnl-ap-and-lnl-classic-hd/

Lloyd Smale
05-31-2012, 06:18 AM
just dont understand why hornady didnt make them the same right out of the box or at least sell a spacer themselves.

thehouseproduct
05-31-2012, 06:51 AM
just dont understand why hornady didnt make them the same right out of the box or at least sell a spacer themselves.
Agreed

Moonman
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Hornady should look into making the die heights a STANDARD and use that as a SELLING POINT for both the LNL and Classic Single Stage Presses together. You could set the Quick Change bushings and dies and be ready to go with either press back and forth without adjusting anything.

I made the spacer for my Single Stage Classic but everyone just can't do that. You just can't make a spacer, the dimensions between the two presses has to be measured as specified in the video. The finished thickness would vary on presses depending upon the threaded distance of the larger threaded bushing installed in the single stage press.

1hole
05-31-2012, 10:51 PM
"You could set the Quick Change bushings and dies and be ready to go with either press back and forth without adjusting anything."

I doubt you could depend on being able to do that with any consistancy on any two of the same presses made a week apart.

Moonman
06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
1hole,

CNC machines and Sigma 5 Quality Control of a STANDARD set of dimensions would make it possible.

They would need to tighten up their TOLERANCES/ALLOWANCES, then it could be a GO.

I worked in a Climate Controlled machine shop that was CNC Machine equipped and we could hold dimensions .0005 or closer.

We had a subsidiary that had a tempretature controlled to 68 degrees +/- 1/2 degree or alarm went off, they could hold tolerances inside of 50 Millionths for Aerospace & Defense work. It CAN BE DONE.