PDA

View Full Version : 310 Tool Went Off

smokemjoe
05-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I have used a 310 for many years, I use one with my Lee 1000 To decap live primers when my press messes up. Last night I decapped a 9MM case and it went off. It never scared me but scared my dog to death.. Like I said I have done this for years, Why this time ?? thanks- Joe

Junior1942
05-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Because the time was right. Phase of the moon, etc. I wrap a rag around the top of my Lee Whacket loaders when I seat primers. On the rare occasion when I de-cap a live primer, I wear a leather glove, safety goggles, wrap the rag, and look the other way.

357maximum
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Junior pretty much summed it up....moonphase. :bigsmyl2:

The only thing I have ever touched a live primer off in was a Lee whach-a-mole loader , I no longer use them. Real dies and a lee hand press would fill my needs if I ever needed to go "benchless".

I know a feller that touched off almost 100 primers in an old straightline progressive press (hollywood?) . Lit off everyone in the tube. Bill got new underwear, a new ceiling, a new piece of roof decking and a new roof over his shop immediately afterwards. The press got a new home and a few new parts. Luckily nothing else was damaged except maybe his hearing a bit. He is a GET A BIGGER HAMMER kind of feller and ignored a tight spot and cranked the handle anyway.

John Boy
05-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Like I said I have done this for years, Why this time ??Because you were cocky confident and hit the anvil with the pin fast and hard. One without the other and primers won't ignite

beagle
05-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Never set one off in a 310 but I have in an old Lyman Comet. I could see where that might happen though./beagle

skeettx
05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
1974, Great Falls Montana, Basement, Lyman 310, priming chamber, priming 30-06 military cases, forgot to ream the crimp on this particular case, squeezed hard, BANG.

OK! All body part present and accounted for, up stairs, change underwear, back down stairs, continue loading :)

beagle
05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
I understand the underwear change. I almost had to when the one went off in the Comet./beagle

blackpowdermax
05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
smokemjoe....if you had your decapping pin set a little too far out and the primer released suddenly, you could crush the primer between the pin and the back handle and boom. There is a clearance on the back handle for the primer to exit, but that can get used up if the pin is set out too far past the base of case.

Kind of a firing pin in reverse..... :D

max