PDA

View Full Version : I have an antique jewell...

dexterblack
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
It is a Whitney Kennedy small frame rifle in .38-40. It has been in my family since new. Three numeral ser. number, with a "Q" prefix. (about 1885). Whitneys are stamped all over, and all parts are original. No restoration. 1/2 octagonal, 1/2 round.

We cleaned it thoroughly, and with some difficulty, reassembled it. Hadn't been fired in about 50 years, so we inquired about safe smokeless loads. (apparently it had used modern ammo frequently -- and ill-advisedly -- often, after the smokeless era, but to no ill effect.) We now usually use 5.2 gr TrailBoss under 175 gr Lyman RNFP.

My brother finally talked me into using BP this weekend. Better "Boom", better smoke, bigger mess. This time, when cleaning, I spend the whole day writing detailed disassembly/reassembly instructions for the gun. Detailed instsructions make a BIG differnce. (I got good initial help from a fellow at another site, the first time I took the gun apart.)

BTW: 35gr FFG under the above-mentioned boolit -- WW about 11 BHN, with brother's home made soft lube, no patch (slow). No leading at all.

Gosh, what fun!

Regards!

waksupi
05-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Pictures! We need pictures!

Welcome aboard.

dexterblack
05-28-2012, 12:15 PM
I'll try photos, but I'm having a heck of a time getting them to upload on "thefirearmsforum". Hope it works better here.

Best Regards,

Dexter

missionary5155
05-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Greetings
I look forward to the photos also. Have watched several work their way through Gunbroker... Looks like a fasinating system.
Mike in Peru

pietro
05-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Don't upload your pics directly to a forum - first register (free) at one of the pic hosting sites (photobucket, imageshack, etc, etc) & upload your pics there, being sure to set the upload size format to a size for posting (under 800 pixels wide).

Once the pics are hosted, "copy" the "direct url" for each pic, and "paste" the url in your forum post, encloseded immediately (no spaces), front/back , with a bracketed [ ] img (front) & /img (back).

As in: http//xxurlxxxx

When you finish your post, the pics should propagate.

Ed in North Texas
05-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Don't upload your pics directly to a forum - first register (free) at one of the pic hosting sites (photobucket, imageshack, etc, etc) & upload your pics there, being sure to set the upload size format to a size for posting (under 800 pixels wide).

Once the pics are hosted, "copy" the "direct url" for each pic, and "paste" the url in your forum post, encloseded immediately (no spaces), front/back , with a bracketed [ ] img (front) & /img (back).

As in: http//xxurlxxxx

When you finish your post, the pics should propagate.

That seems like a lot of trouble for what I've found to be a simple process on both Cast Boolits and the British Militaria fora. Make a post, go to the "My Photos" box, do the "Quick Upload". follow the prompts. You do need to know where on your hard drive (or other) you have the pictures, but that is true for any photo uploads. If he wants the pix to be available on more than 2 fora, than the picture hosting sites are a good idea.

Just my $0.02 - take it for what it's worth.

Ed

TXGunNut
06-03-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm barely smart enough to do it directly here and over on TFL. Not sure I like those hosting sites anyway, guess they're just too complicated for me. Thanks for trying, tho, pietro.