PDA

View Full Version : Shot the 500JRH a little yesterday

subsonic
05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
A few weeks back I sent this gun back to MR to have the barrel shortened to the 5.5" that it was advertised to have instead of the 7.5". While it was there, I had them do a trigger job, number the chambers to be seen with the loading gate open and fit the black micarta grips. Here is a pic next to my Accu-Sport Ruger Bisley .45 with 5.5" barrel. MR measures barrels from the frame, so you gain about 3/4" of an inch. This is about 6.25" in reality.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/jrh55.jpg

I had 25 of the original 50rds I loaded "just to shoot it" before I got a mould. I shot 20 of them.
The load was a 350gr Speer DeepCurl over 33gr of H110 with a CCI350 in Starline .500JRH brass that I ordered from Jack Huntington.

Before I went to the range yesterday, I painted the foundation of my house and wore my right hand out. I didn't realize this until I tried to shoot!

My goal was just to get the sights adjusted and chronograph this load, so I set targets at 25yds. The front sight is the 2dogs group buy sight that I haven't smoothed or blued yet.

From the bench, the bag that the butt of the gun sits on apparently soaks up a good portion of the energy that is trying to raise the muzzle of the gun. My bag ripped after a few shots, but groups were good. The group on the left was my sight adjustment group. The first shot was off the paper. The second shot is the low one you see, and the third shot is clustered next to 4 and 5.

The second group is the one I shot over the chronograph. I'm not sure why, but I never shoot quite as well over the chronograph. I think I might be worried about shooting the darn thing! Chrono said 1380,1401,1345,1367,1341 for 5 shots. That flyer at about 10:30 was when I let a fellow I knew from the range shoot a shot.

The last group is an offhand group that I started shooting with the slick micarta grips. I shot 3 shots and the gun was spinning back in my hand and pointed at the sky after each shot. I was stringing shots and flinching because I was worried I was going to hurt the gun or myself. The 3 shots I shot first were the 2 highest and single lowest. That's when I realized that my hand strength wasn't there from painting the foundation and I switched the grips back to the rubber ones that came on it and shot 5 more shots. The gun was still sliding in my grip more than I wanted it to, but I was able to shoot a decent group anyway.

All in all, I like this gun! Can't wait to shoot it again when my hand isn't tired. I don't know if I'm going to like the micarta grips or not.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x386/Dennis_Doza/350dc25.jpg

44man
05-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I would not be able to shoot those slick grips! Do you have the rubber ones?
No matter what, I shoot the factory grips better.
My friend loves fancy grips on his Freedom but he can't shoot them so he changes to rubber ones when he shoots, then he puts the pretty ones on at home. :smile:
You need a glove with a lot of grip friction.

subsonic
05-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Yes, have the rubbers and put them on for the last off-hand group. See above. My hand was still too tired to control the gun like I wanted. I could tell that I just couldn't generate the "squeeze" that I normally do.

Off of the bench, the Micarta was no trouble at this power level. The sandbag under the grips keeps the gun from spinning. I do not feel like this is a "high recoil" load, since this gun can push much heavier boolits the same speed as what I was running these 350s.

subsonic
05-28-2012, 10:20 AM
I should find some time to cast again soon and will try my 440gr Mtn Mold boolits.

jwp475
05-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes, have the rubbers and put them on for the last off-hand group. See above. My hand was still too tired to control the gun like I wanted. I could tell that I just couldn't generate the "squeeze" that I normally do.

Off of the bench, the Micarta was no trouble at this power level. The sandbag under the grips keeps the gun from spinning. I do not feel like this is a "high recoil" load, since this gun can push much heavier boolits the same speed as what I was running these 350s.

Jack Huntington's grip modification will make the BFR much more easily controlled

subsonic
05-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Jack's grip extension is neat. If I had it to do over, I likely would have sent the gun to him instead of MR. Live and learn. This is probably not my last BFR.

44man
05-28-2012, 02:29 PM
Jack's grip extension is neat. If I had it to do over, I likely would have sent the gun to him instead of MR. Live and learn. This is probably not my last BFR.
Jack's grip does feel good.
My grips all have a sling stud on the bottom of the grips so they tear bags easy. I protect the bag with a square of buckskin, it has worked great.