PDA

View Full Version : 43 Mauser P/P ing

Beekeeper
05-28-2012, 08:52 AM
It was asked of me and I had no answer and my search ability leaves a lot to be desired.
Yesterday at the range a BP grease groove shooter asked me about shooting P/P in my Mausers.
Question was " why do you use a grease cookie under your P/P boolit"?
Seems he shoots P/P in his 45/70 without one and does fairly good.

I did not have an answer and none of the books I have on P/P gives anything definitive about it so decided to ask here

Is the grease cookie necessary?
The patch should carry the fouling out of the barrel and if you have something like JPW on the patch it will lube the barrel will it not?

Thought it was a legitimate question to ask

beekeeper

elk hunter
05-28-2012, 09:27 AM
According to what I've been told, the purpose of the lube cookie is to put enough lube/moisture in with the burnt powder to keep the solids soft so you don't have to clean so often.

montana_charlie
05-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Question was " why do you use a grease cookie under your P/P boolit"?
Seems he shoots P/P in his 45/70 without one and does fairly good.
Generally speaking, when shooting black powder, some form of fouling control is required to manage the powder residue.
If allowed to dry out in the bore, it will cause a variety of problems.

If your friend shoots PP without a grease cookie, it is presumed that he wipes the bore clean between shots. That would be his 'fouling control' method.
Yours is introducing lube into the residue to keep it soft and moist.

Either can result in good performance, but the grease cookie method also allows follow-up shots without the need to 'clean the rifle' before reloading.

CM

Beekeeper
05-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks Charlie,
That is what I thought but did not answer him as I was unsure.
Will try to talk to him next BP shoot.
I am not allowed to shoot "No Sharps, Remington or such".
I shoot a 43 Mauser and that is not a gun recognized by the NRA as an American BP rifle.
Keeps me sane and (no offence ment) not rabid about silly wetts.

Beekeeper

Don McDowell
05-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Beekeeper, while your rifle and cartridge certainly don't meet NRA rules, I am surprised that the local club won't let you shoot right along with them , only not for score or awards if it's a sanctioned match.

bigted
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks Charlie,
That is what I thought but did not answer him as I was unsure.
Will try to talk to him next BP shoot.
I am not allowed to shoot "No Sharps, Remington or such".
I shoot a 43 Mauser and that is not a gun recognized by the NRA as an American BP rifle.
Keeps me sane and (no offence ment) not rabid about silly wetts.

Beekeeper

guess im not sure what the "im not allowed" thing is about. why cant you shoot the "sharps, remington or such" ? just asking to satisfy a curiouse mind please.

Buckshot
06-02-2012, 03:01 AM
guess im not sure what the "im not allowed" thing is about. why cant you shoot the "sharps, remington or such" ? just asking to satisfy a curiouse mind please.

.............Not putting words into Beekeeper's mouth, but I'm sure he means he cannot shoot his bolt action .43 Mauser, because it's NOT a "Sharps, Remington, or such", eg: doesn't fit the requirements.

..............Buckshot

Don McDowell
06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Ted there is a specific list of rifles allowed in the NRA sanctioned matches. All must be American as must the cartridges they are chambered in. Look at the front page of bpcr.net, I believe the rules governing guns and ammunition are published there.
But a person can make arrangements with the match director to shoot the non qualified rifle in a match, but they will not be eligible for prize awards or for NRA classifications.

bigted
06-05-2012, 08:42 AM
i see. thanks buckshot n Don...i mis-read what beekeeper was saying.