PDA

View Full Version : powder charge devices

Dakine
05-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Hey, I was wondering what the thoughts are on the automatic powder chargers are? I like the idea of push button easy, and the Hornady is affordable and they have a good brand name and I always see a lot of favorable customer service comments on them.

what do you think?

W.R.Buchanan
05-28-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a Lyman DPS unit and it works well. I have never heard anything bad about the Hornaday unit or the RCBS unit either.

I think you need to get a brand name unit and just use it.Pretty sure all of the name brand units are hood pieces of kit.

For doing Rifle cartridges using powders that don't meter well in normal measures these new units are the answer.

I loaded 100 .308's on Saturday. 45.0 gr of IMR4895. +/- .1 gr for over 100 charges.! This would have taken hours to do with a scale and trickler.

Take the plunge, it's worth it!

Randy

dragon813gt
05-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I have the RCBS Chargemaster. After reading a lot of reviews I chose it for ease of cleaning and speed. If you want to delve deeper into it you can adjust pretty much every setting in it. It was never reviewed against the Hornady so I don't know how they compare. My only complaint is that it's not quick to remove the scale from the dispenser. I understand the design but you almost have to separate them if you want to use it just as a scale. The dispensing tube protrudes over the scale to much.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.