PDA

View Full Version : Tough conditions today

Nobade
05-27-2012, 08:54 PM
We shot a pistol caliber levergun match today with the Marlin 45 Colt Cowboy rifle, shooting the NOE 45 cal. BP boolit and KIK FFFg. Talk about rough conditions to shoot BP in! 2% humidity, 86deg., with wind from 20-30 mph. But despite all this, the boolit and the Bullshop NASA lube performed quite well. 5 shot strings were no problem as long as the rate of fire was kept brisk, but as soon as we stopped shooting you could watch the fouling dry out and get hard. Had to blow down the muzzle quite a bit before shooting the next string and wet the fouling or there was no telling where the shot would go. Shooting with BP in the winter sure is a lot easier, but it was sure interesting seeing how it worked today.

montana_charlie
05-27-2012, 10:39 PM
the Bullshop NASA lube performed quite well.
The Bullshop is closed down. Where will you get NASA lube when yours is gone?

CM

Nobade
05-28-2012, 08:36 AM
The Bullshop is closed down. Where will you get NASA lube when yours is gone?

CM

Guess I'll have to switch to something else. Too bad too, it sure works well!

Doc Highwall
05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
When I found out the Bull Shop was closing I bought 2 lbs of the NASA lube. It works great with my smokeless powder loads but it will have to be replaced some day also.

The 2 lbs will last only so long and hopefully give me a chance to find a replacement that works as well.

I bought some of Lars carnauba red 2700 to try for smokless but I will need to find a replacement for black powder.

Dan advertised that it was made for black powder but worked with smokless as well which is why I bought it. Thinking that I would only have to buy one lube and have only one lubersizer was my goal.

Nobade
05-28-2012, 12:09 PM
As long as temps are below 90deg. F, Dick Dastardly's Pearl Lube works pretty well for both black and smokeless. A little beeswax added makes it a bit thicker and less runny in hot weather. Emmert's lube also does fairly well as a double duty lube. The only issue with that is you have to watch what kind of shortening you use, I made a batch up once that corroded the heck out of my boolits after a few months. But for pistol level ammo both these do fine and are really cheap to make, especially Pearl Lube. I bought a 50lb. box of soy wax flakes about 10 years ago to make Pearl Lube and have barely put a dent in it, so I think I'll be set for BP lube for some time to come! Still it isn't NASA, but is fine for most BP shooting. Also makes good grease cookies for my PP shooting in rifles and muzzle loaders.

EDG
05-30-2012, 08:36 PM
If the Bullshop shut down for good did he sell his recipe to someone?

montana_charlie
05-30-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't know, but I don't think so.
Some claim to know the formula for Bullplate, and I think Bullplate is part of the NASA lube.

CM

Don McDowell
05-31-2012, 10:03 AM
I recently purchase a couple of pounds of NASA from Bullshop, and in the communications they said they intend to still keep the lubes and stuff available after the move the first of July, but the marketing will not be done directly thru Bullshop family....

Stay tuned Bullshop fans, all is not as dire as the rumor mongors would hope.....

montana_charlie
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Stay tuned Bullshop fans, all is not as dire as the rumor mongors would hope.....
What rumors are they spreading?

CM

Don McDowell
05-31-2012, 09:35 PM
The Bullshop is closed down

Isn't exactly true. They are still accepting and shipping lube and bullplate, until around the 1st of July, and then like the man said, he intends to make it available again, just not thru his home...

montana_charlie
05-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Isn't exactly true. They are still accepting and shipping lube and bullplate, until around the 1st of July.
Posted on May 14th ...
Dan and I are packing and getting ready to head out --- we still have a couple orders that we need to ship off- at this time we are not taking more orders ----
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=153866

Don McDowell
05-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Key words "at this time"..

JeffinNZ
05-31-2012, 11:48 PM
2% HUMIDITY! That's ridiculously low.

Don McDowell
06-01-2012, 12:57 AM
jeff match that up with 110 degree heat, and fouling control means entering a whole new demension, more akin to a parallel universe..

JeffinNZ
06-01-2012, 05:09 AM
I imagine you fire a shot, connect a garden hose to the chamber, run it for 10 seconds, shoot, repeat.

That's insane heat and humidity.

waksupi
06-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Jeff, when it is that hot and dry, you can drink a case of beer, and never pee~!

montana_charlie
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Key words "at this time"..
I think it would be accurate to read that as "as of this time" to get the true meaning she wanted to convey.

The point is, you implied I am a rumor monger, and saying something that "isn't exactly ture", when I mentioned that the Bullshop is closed down.
The lady posted that as of 14 May they are not taking orders.
That qualifies in my book as 'closed down'.

You say "They are still accepting and shipping lube and bullplate, until around the 1st of July," ... she says they are not.

Who is it that 'isn't exactly true"?

I brought this up with nobade because he uses NASA lube. I have a pound or so that I am not using while concentrating on paper patching.
If he had indicated any hardship due to unavailibility, I was going to offer him my small supply to tide him over ... until we hear more about the products coming available again.

Your input disrupted that exchange, with false information, and nobade has moved on.

I know you love to pee in my Cheerios, but without accurate information it just dribbles down your pant leg ...

CM

Don McDowell
06-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Mr. Maxwell all I can say is that Dan told me via email
"Do not despair friend we do have plans to make our product available again after the move"

So yeah at the moment they may not be accepting orders and the like, but the mans own words to me after I thanked him for his lube, and mentioned it was going to be a tough deal to find something to replace it, indicate far different scenario than the internet rumor mongors have been spreading for several months now.

bigted
06-10-2012, 02:44 PM
im glad to read this...even tho we bordered on a shazam...that bullshop is just in transition. i live not hardly 150 miles from them and i hadnt heard this so thanks for the info.

we have some of the oposite conditions here in winter. the temps go to minus 50 + degrees and the humidity is so low that the snow is so dry it wont even hold up a snow-go sometimes. the skin dry in winter is a battle for chapping and peeling...let alone the lubing of boolits. that is exactly why i started to play with paperpatching and duplex loads. i chalenge anybody to run a wet patched cleaning patch thru a rifle barrel in these temps and not have it freeze before the job is done. i dont and will not use anti-freeze for cleaning here in a state that has so many rules about enviromental issues. this is why i like the nasa lube...it works in these temps when my own home-made lube does not. im just starting to experiment with some cookies for added lube conditions in the barrel.

Nobade
06-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Wow, I never have given any thought to shooting in conditions like that. You couldn't patch out the bore, blow down it, or much else. At least BP doesn't get slow and hard to light when it's cold out!

Yesterday I shot a big bore levergun match with my 38-55. Using a duplex load of 4gr. 4227 and 38gr. FFg, and the Lee boolit. I shot all day with only having to blow down the muzzle before each 5 shot string. That worked out well and I ended up winning the match and being the only one using black powder. We had some spectators and afterward one asked me what caliber I was shooting and why my rifle was so much louder than all the others. Guess he had never seen black powder being burned! Oh, it was 90 deg. and 6% humidity. Not too bad for around here in the summer.

bigted
06-10-2012, 03:22 PM
nobade...congrats on yer win. thatll teach em to fart in church!!! i love my 38-55 and i shoot a 250 rcbs sized to .372 then patched back to .378 and this has done very well for me so far.