PDA

View Full Version : Enfield 22 conversions,

BCall
05-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I have a couple of Enfield drill rifles, a no1 and a no4. Haven't done much with them as I can't shoot them in their current condition. I got them cheap and thought I might be able to convert the no1 back to shooting condition with a new bolt just to shoot light cast loads with for fun. I know this is somewhat controversial in some circles, so I have never done anything with it. Everything looks fine, just the bolt is welded over.

Then I came across this at Numrich the other day-
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?catid=11712&pid=502970

And a use for that drill rifle appeared! I figured I'd convert it to .22 and it would be a fine plinking gun. I ordered one of the kits and received it the other day. it looks like it will work fine once fitted. It has to be fitted, I suppose for headspace reasons, as it won't just drop in. But it won't take much to get it going.

My question now is, where can I get a rimfire bolt for a no 4 rifle? I would be very keen on converting it to .22 as well, if anyone knows where I can get a bolt or bolt head.

I think converting it to a no 8 clone would be nice, but I have no idea how to accomplish that or where to get parts like the stock and floorplate. Any ideas? Thanks, Billy

drhall762
05-27-2012, 06:46 PM
What is the problem with the bolt that came with the kit from Numrich? Can't you use it for a guide? I don't have the bolts in hand so that is why I ask.

BCall
05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
It's a no1 bolt. Woks fine for the no1 mk3 dp rifle I have, but I would also like to convert a no4 rifle and I need a bolt or bolt head with extractor for it.

Multigunner
05-28-2012, 06:15 AM
I ran across a Canadian gunshop site several years ago that had .22 conversion parts. These were OEM parts for the official conversions sold as replacement parts.
I'm fairly sure they had bolts or bolt heads for the No.4 conversions.
Unfortunately I can not remember the name of the site. It went by the name of the owner who was an old time gunsmith up there, if thats any help at all.

PS
I think the conversions of the No.4 use a shortened bolt body similar to the deLise carbine bolt.

Good site to check out
http://rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.8.html

Oren
05-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Ellwood Epps?

Multigunner
05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Ellwood Epps?

I don't think so, I'd have remembered that name.
I checked the Epps store but they don't have the conversion parts listed. They do carry quite a few No.4 rifle parts.

KCSO
06-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Mr. Epps as sold out and I don't remember who has the shop now. I would guess it would be just as cheap to have a machine shop convert a bolt head for you. You would alos need to make up a firing pin for your #4 all doable.

Red River Rick
06-07-2012, 12:08 PM
Ellwood Epps is still in business: http://ellwoodepps.com/

RRR

odfairfaxsub
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
yeah too bad they dont have it in 4-1

KCSO
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I knew the shop was still there but don't know who does the work now. I delt with Mr. Epps himself back in the early 70's. I kinda hate to recommend someone that I don't know.