PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 1000 not indexing

500MAG
05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
I purchased a Lee Pro 1000 in 1990. After working with it for just 2 months, I packed it back in the box and put it on the shelf. I don't know why, I guess I was just so comfortable with my old Lyman Spar-T. Just last week, 22 years later, I opened the box and set the Lee Pro 1000 up again. I removed the shellplate that was in it and installed one for 45 acp. I ran thru 100 rounds of 45 acp and it worked great. I then changed the shellplate to load 9mm and now I can't get it to index. At first, it would only index 3/4 way and adjusting the "zero adjustment" screw did not help. I removed everything and reinstalled it and now it won't index at all. When you touch the shellplate with your finger, to get it started, it will index. But, on it's own it will not initiate. I don't want to send it back to Lee because they want 1/2 of the current price of a new one to reset the old one to factory settings. I don't want to do that yet because the reciept shows that when I purchased it in 1990 it was only $129. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

44Vaquero
05-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Check Youtube there are several videos are posted that may be be of some help to you. The pro 1000 uses the same hex ratchet as the older 3 station turret press, I would start there, it's a sacrificial part!

Paints-n-cows
05-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Make sure that the shellplate is tight on the center indexing portion. When I am running a lot of rounds, mine will work loose and it won't properly index. If it is loose enough, it won't even turn.

Puddin99
05-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Sometimes the nylon gears on the sproket in the shell plate carrier get stripped and will not allow the indexing screw to work properly. If this is the issue, you can re-index the gear to another position with good threads to confirm.