PDA

View Full Version : Speed Loaders and Short Barrels

ColColt
05-27-2012, 11:35 AM
They don't work. Yesterday at the range I took the 66-4 2 1/2" out for it's first outing and found out quickly when ejecting spent brass not all six will come out...maybe one or two. Even given the ejector a swift jab still wouldn't eject all six-you have to shake and pull the brass from the cylinder. Maybe my technique needs to be improved a little. So much for using speed loaders. You'd spend you time getting the brass clear.

theperfessor
05-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Did you try ejecting with the gun pointed straight up? It helps and also keeps powder residue from getting under ejector star. I have the same problem with my M36 and my M642s.

ColColt
05-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes but sometimes at an angle. These were the first ones fired and subsequent ones were just as bad. Under the star was squeaky clean. I guess the ejector rod just isn't long enough.

imashooter2
05-27-2012, 02:09 PM
And so you now know the primary advantage of moon clips...

subsonic
05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
If you've fired all 6 and haven't solved the problem... you are in bad shape!

9.3X62AL
05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
This anomaly is one reason that FBI chose the Model 13 x 3" for their issue sideiron--longer ejector stroke. My Model 19-3 x 2.5" doesn't hang up, but I hit that ejector while giving the whole revolver a good "snap" downward with the muzzle skyward. Middle and ring fingers of left hand keep the cylinder wide open, left thumb presses ejector rod, and the left elbow gives the snap--all at once. This is an old habit I cultivated prior to the advent of plastic sliderpistoles with all-day magazines. :)

subsonic
05-27-2012, 03:21 PM
http://www.aristocratproducts.com/page3.html

Makes your longer barrelled revolver have the same problems!

imashooter2
05-27-2012, 03:23 PM
...all-day magazines. :)

[smilie=l:

429421Cowboy
05-27-2012, 03:40 PM
http://www.aristocratproducts.com/page3.html

Makes your longer barrelled revolver have the same problems!

I'm confused:confused::sad:
Training purposes?

imashooter2
05-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Looks like the intent is to make every reload slower as a tradeoff for not allowing a case to slide under the extractor and tie up the gun.

ColColt
05-27-2012, 03:45 PM
And so you now know the primary advantage of moon clips...

They're good for speed loading but won't help with the ejection issue.

If you've fired all 6 and haven't solved the problem... you are in bad shape!

I reckon I'm in bad shape. The main problem is the short ejector.

imashooter2
05-27-2012, 03:52 PM
They're good for speed loading but won't help with the ejection issue.

I disagree. They make for very positive ejection. 6 in a package have a lot more momentum than 6 individual pieces and they will drop free as a package when 1 or 2 would otherwise stick.

I would never carry moons for a social reload. From my experience using them in games, they are far too fragile. A subtly bent moon will drop right in, but drag on the recoil shield and tie up the gun. Speed loaders in my pocket, thanks!

30calflash
05-27-2012, 04:43 PM
You didn't mention what ammo you were using.

Although it's not a lot, 38 special cases are .1" shorter than 357 mag. All things being equal it should make a little difference.

Sometimes the grip can interfere with a 'clean' clearing of the cylinder. You might want to look at that also.

ColColt
05-27-2012, 06:14 PM
I would never carry moons for a social reload. From my experience using them in games, they are far too fragile. A subtly bent moon will drop right in, but drag on the recoil shield and tie up the gun. Speed loaders in my pocket, thanks!

So what's their purpose? Range only? Jerry Miculek seems to do rather well with them from the videos I've seen. TK Custom, who make their own as well as cut cylinders for moon clips, indicate theirs is .025" thick. You'd have to be pretty rough on them to bend those, I'd think.

imashooter2
05-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Games. Jerry Miculek plays games, just like I do (except of course, he plays them better). .38/.357 moons are remarkably easy to bend. That's why I don't even put them on my belt until just before I run a stage. Even the .040 thick .45 ACP moons can bend if you drop a full one on a hard surface. You can trust them if you like, I've seen too many fail.

That said, nothing wrong with having the load in the gun moon clipped to take advantage of the positive extraction...

ColColt
05-27-2012, 07:55 PM
I didn't realize they were that fragile.

429421Cowboy
05-27-2012, 08:45 PM
Thank you for the explaination shooter.

MasS&W
06-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Try the old police method of grabbing the cylinder and the frame and holding it at 90 degrees, with the top strap away from you. A decent slap will eject all of those cases with vigor, you will find. A bit slower, but I practice likewise with my carry gun. I find a consistent and predictable reload will beat questionable competition style speed reloads any day. You want to be able to answer the question "will I have time to reload here, or should I run away instead" with brutal authority.