PDA

View Full Version : New lathe help

jwhite
04-18-2007, 08:24 AM
I just got a nice south bend 10K, and would like to upgrade to a modern style tool holder and insert type tools and was wondering if anybody had any recomendations. I would also like to purchase a 4 jaw chuck as well, am thinking about getting a import chuck out of MSC, if any one has any suggestions on this I would like to hear from them. Also is there any place that specializes in used lathe parts, I need a back gear (stripped), and a tailstock lock down lever (missing). Thanks for any info provided.
Jerry

redneckdan
04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
as far as inserts, sandvik is the best.

Bad Ass Wallace
04-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Yes go for inserts. They are available today for boring, threading, parting & turning. I've been doing some work on my lathe with titanium-nitride inserts and they are expensive but brilliant!

1hole
04-18-2007, 12:23 PM
5 Years ago I bought a sound SB 9" md. A for not much. It needed a back gear and shaft and the half-nuts which I got off eBay pretty reasonable. I had to wait until they were available and then had to wait until a few idiots with too much money got theirs first.

Also bought a 6" face plate, 6" drive plate, set of dogs, dead centers, knurling tools, collets, boring bar, etc. off eBay as well.

What I'm saying is, if you want original SB working parts you will have to buy used and that may mean eBay. Other stuff you may get from MSC, etc.

Enjoy your old lathe, I do mine!

454PB
04-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Look around here:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHI?PMSECT=996

dragonrider
04-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Go here and you will get the answers you need.
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/
There is also a place in Bethel, Vt. that has used SB stuff. I can't remember the name right now sorry. Pick a copy of Machinist Workshop at a bookstore, Or The Home Shop Machinist, also at the bookstore.
This is another good forum for answers
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Phil
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
If you get a cast chuck, face plate, or whatever, make sure you adhere to the rpm limits for it.

Cheers,

Phil

Buckshot
04-19-2007, 03:22 AM
.................For a home shop guy get a Phase II QC toolpost. For your 10" you'll need the AXA size. A BXA might be too big, I don't know for sure. I have a BXA on my 11" Logan. The BXA size will take up to 5/8" tools and I can "JUST" center a 5/8" tool and the 11" Logan is really 11-5/8". The piston type posts are the less expensive choice, the other being the wedge type which is supposed to be much more repetative. The wedge type with 5 toolholders will run somewhere around $200 and the piston type maybe $170.

What spindle nose does your lathe have?

Is the 10K the 'Heavy 10' with the 1-3/8" spindle bore so you can use 5C collets?

For a 4 jaw independant chuck I think about the best that a home shop guy can do for cost and value is to get a Bison. I got a 3 jaw and 4 jaw Bison when I got my lathe. However my lathe also came with a Buck 6 jaw adjust tru, a Buck 2 jaw adjust tru and a 3 jaw Rohm that was missing it's top jaws :-). The top jaws for the Rohm (from Rohm) cost as much as the Bison 4 jaw!

The Practical Machinist BB has a SouthBend forum, and a wanted and for sale forum. There is also a Yahoo E-List dealing with SB lathes.

I would not be in a supper hurry to buy a bunch of carbide insert type toolholders. I bought a 5 piece set taking the TNMT-TT inserts made by Rouse and they're fine but really not meant for finish cuts. You CAN get a good finish, but carbide wants a good deep cut and if you're creeping up on that last half a thousandth, most carbides just won't do it like HSS will. A carbide threading insert can run $18 and you can buy a bunch of excellent Cobalt HSS bits for that.

Carbide has it's place but really it wants to be pushed hard. I was told that when you're using carbide right, the chip should peel off brown and be blue before it hits the chip pan. As mentioned, good carbide is expensive and it is NOT forever. Good HSS does a great job all around, is fairly inexpensive and can be reground easily.

.................Buckshot

jwhite
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the info and links, lot of good reading on those sites.
Jerry

jwhite
04-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Buckshot,
The 10K is the light ten, it has a 1.5"x8 spindle with a 7/8" bore. It is a fairly light machine but for the occasional user like myself it should be fine. It is in good shape, with only the stripped back gear for problems. Where would you recommend purchasing the tool holder you mentioned?
Jerry

gzig5
04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
Buckshot,
I am not sure of all the nuances between them, but I think the 10K is just a taller 9", and does not have the Heavy 10's large bore spindle. I think it is the same or similar to the SB 9" at 3/4 - 7/8" id. I think the spindle nose was usually threaded 1 1/2 - 8.

Jerry
I will agree with Buckshot on the carbide. Spend the money on a decent bench grinder and a couple of different wheels and learn to grind them. Lots of info at the websites suggested, and $20 worth of HSS goes a LONG way.
Greg

Greg

Frank46
04-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Ah Jerry me boy. Another soul gone to his reward. I have a 13x40 gearhead jet lathe and I use a BXA phase II tool post set up. Buckshot is right about carbide. I was turning some long aluminum mystery metal shafts down for bushing on my brownells barrel vise. Started off with 1/8" deep cuts to get about where I wanted to be then used HSS for the rest. i have plenty of assorted size Hss tool bits from 1/8" all the way up to 3/4". Doubt I'll ever usethe big ones. Its no trouble to learn how to gring them. Stone the cutting edges to get a good cut and finish. Enco had the BXA on sale(mine is the wedge type) on sale some years back for about $189 bucks. Now for the fun part. Start getting the following catalogs. MSc, enco, travers tools, grizzly and McMaster Carr. Then forget about any plans to go out with the boys to have a few beers. Cause after seeing what maching tool supplies and those extra goodies you ain't gonna have any money for beer much less anything else. I got lucky when I lived in new york as there was a machinery supply house not too far from home. ANything you could want or need was there. They literally had tables with bargain stuff such as end mills, tool bits, carbide inserts, drill bits and only God knew what else. You could go in there and spend hours looking over the treasure trove of stuff. Yep them catalogs could be your downfall. But what a way to go. Get a copy of either home shop machinest or projects in metal as they should have a few advertisements for folks selling the parts you need. All you needis plastic and a phone and then wait until the brown warrior and his brown truck show up and you're in business. And don't overlook the local salvage yards. you'd be amazed at what you can find there. I picked up a 3" piece of brass 30" long for a project and it only cost $60 bucks. Even found a cover plate for some guys casket. Go figure. Have fun, Frank

Buckshot
04-21-2007, 08:03 AM
............Best bets for South Bend parts is E-Bay and then try Joe at Plaza Machinery. Just Google 'Plaza Macinery' and it'll come up.

By the way, if your spindle nose has a 2 or 3 MT you can get at least the ER32 size spring collets. If it's a 3 MT you could go the next size up to ER40 collets. These collets have a larger grasping range then the 5C's and they're normally MUCH more accurate then turning something in a 3 jaw chuck.

..............Buckshot

TAWILDCATT
04-29-2007, 03:26 PM
does any body mind if I cry!! I did a fellow a faver once and sold him my 9 '' south bend with collet closer collets 3 and 4 jaw chucks 4 way tool post and turret tail stock-$100 then he stiffed me on a deal. o well live and learn.