PDA

View Full Version : 22 lr

TCTex
05-26-2012, 08:14 PM
My oldest son is 7 and is starting to become very interested in shooting. He is the type that gets upset when I reload or cast and isn’t included in the process… LOL He is actually doing well with my 14in 22 Short Match. He surprised me when he started hitting turtles in the pond at 50 yards. … so… I think it is time to start him on “His” own rifle. He REALLY likes the westerns. Point in fact, he named our cat Dude off Rio Bravo. He has shown a great interest in revolvers and has even already tried to claim my 9.5 SRH in 44 Mag, ya… umm… no… Even more humorously, he has shown great interest in lever guns, AND I DON’T EVEN OWN ONE!! I have a couple of different styles of long-rifles and we did a little experimentation to see what he thought of them. But, oh buddy, but when I had my friend Toby bring over his lever guns my son just about lost it. So I guess this means I am going to be on the lookout for a lever action. So does anyone have any experience with the Henry youth rifle? It is going to be a little while, I am just trying to do my home work. My local gun store usually gives me good prices and will let me put it on layaway, so this might be a good Christmas present if you know what I mean.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=288527396

Jim
05-26-2012, 08:31 PM
You need to buy that boy a 22 lever!

rintinglen
05-26-2012, 08:45 PM
I gave the full size Henry to my daughter, though she is a far sight from 7. It has worked pretty well for her, though the pl;astic front sight was not much to her liking. I understand that the new ones have metal sights, but can't confirm that.

fecmech
05-26-2012, 11:12 PM
If he is on the small side get the youth version of the Henry the stock is shorter and better for kids. As he grows you can simply put a recoil pad on to lengthen the stock. Henry's are great .22 rifles, I have the 16" carbine and love it. With good standard velocity ammo it will group under an inch at 50 yds!
http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-lever-youth.cfm

yovinny
05-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I bought a pair last fall of the standard size Henrys for my son and myself.
I'm very impressed with the quality and accuracy from both, mine is the first 22 rifle I've ever owned that actually likes and shoots stingers worth a hoot.
Mine has become my go-to 22lr and I dont think my son has even once used his old 10/22 since getting his.

My only thought is that you might want something simpler for a youngsters very first rifle.
Maybe something like a single shot bolt action would be a better choice, instead of a tube fed lever action.
Just my .02
Cheers, YV

LUCKYDAWG13
05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
if you can look for a older marlin 39 or a 92 Winchester or a Henry

TCTex
05-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Great thoughts and thanks for the quick feedback. I will skip the youth and go straight to the standard. My Son is actually large for his age and from what everyone is telling me he will grow into it and use it the rest of his life… :Fire:

He is already operating my 14in G2 Contender in 22 Short Match, with supervision of course, by him self. Worst case is simply he uses it until he can manage his… :Bright idea:

I will probably go with the Henry just because it has the big loop lever. My Son WILL notice the difference. For those who don’t know, John Wayne’s carbine had a large loop… … … :popcorn:

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

Duane

John Boy
05-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Buy your son a Henry Golden Boy and don't look back. They have the smoothest action of any lever on the market today. Plus they are accurate and the Henry service is par excellence. I sent mine back for some modifications to shoot a 1.04" black powder round and they had it back to me in 5 days, no charge, with free shipping

fecmech
05-27-2012, 04:33 PM
One minor problem with the Golden boy. If you are going to scope it it has a cantilever barrel mount and the stock has way more drop than the other models making it a bit awkward for scope shooting(difficult cheek weld). Open sight only, no problem.

paul h
05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
I'd say look for an older marlin 39a, very accurate, reliable, and a reasonably good trigger.

MasS&W
06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I have had a few issues with the Henry .22s. They work alright, and shoot damn well, but I am occasionally smote with a failure to extract and/or double feed. God help the man woman or child who forgets to bring along a screwdriver to take the receiver down, which is often the ONLY solution.

MasS&W
06-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Marlin makes a superior .22, in my humble opinion.

429421Cowboy
06-03-2012, 09:26 PM
While my mothers Browning BL-22 is far the better rifle, the Henry is much cheaper but still a great rifle as well as made in the USA. I was given a Henry for my 12th Christmas by my grandfather and have had great luck with it, as well as having heard nothing but wonderful things about their customer service.

Also they are a huge supporter of the International Hunter Education Asscociation and give a Hunter Education Instructor discount if you buy directly, i continue to support them for that reason.

TCTex
06-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the responses Gents!!!!

Duane

kopperl
06-16-2012, 11:37 AM
If you want to start him with a cheap, light rifle I have a Stevens Martini action single shot that I no longer use,
It is not cheap in quality.

I am near Waco if that helps.

Four Fingers of Death
06-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Personally,I'd be buying two guns. A cheap singleshot bolt gun. Real simple to learn on, cheap and reliable. At the same time, I'd be buying a nice 22 lever rifle. This would be shown to the lad and he should be allowed to handle it and then oil it before placing it in the safe. That should be his goal to work towards. When he has proved him self safe, competent and reliable, I'd be handing him the lever rifle. Then we would take the youth rifle and give it to a less fortunate family and then wheelhim into the gunshop and put a 38/357 lever rifle on lay by. That would be his next target.

The Marlins would be the preferred rifle for me, as they allow scope mounting which is an option for later hunting, etc, althought I have a Rossi 38/357 (the rifle in my avitar) and I can't fault it.

Good luck, but I'd make him work a bit for it. He will appreciate it more and learn from that process as well.

Jack Stanley
06-23-2012, 08:17 AM
I have had a few issues with the Henry .22s. They work alright, and shoot damn well, but I am occasionally smote with a failure to extract and/or double feed. God help the man woman or child who forgets to bring along a screwdriver to take the receiver down, which is often the ONLY solution.

Pleeaaasssee !!! don't make me take it apart again !! A local pastor wanted to put a scope mount on his Dad's rifle . We got the job done , but it was not fun .

Jack

pietro
06-23-2012, 08:20 AM
In my experience, the Henry levergun has been both inexpensive and reliable, not to mention accurate.

If you get the H001Y Youth Model, the short barrel & stock will make it easier for him, to handle, and the standard/adult size buttstock for the H001 will interchange when he gets too big for the youth stock.

In addition, Henry has proven they have the best warranty in the US, bar none - they will often send a customer a part @ n/c, upon receiving a phone call.

Anthony Imperato, President of Henry Repeating Arms, is available to answer any questions you may have on the Henry product line by contacting him directly by email at info@henryrepeating.com

Skinner makes a clip-on receiver peep sight expressly for the Henry, that will zero using the issue front sight, if/when you want to graduate him from open sights.

Kestrel4k
06-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Late to the thread, and sorry to see not much love for the Winchester 94/22 here yet.
It hasn't been made for years, but my older brother had one when I was a kid and I was crazy about it.
I took his apart for cleaning (just wanted something to do) a number of years ago and was blown away by the quality of the workmanship for the internals.
Somewhat of a spendy gun these days, but I'd take it over any two Henry's.

Edit: OK, four Henry's, lol. ;)

pietro
06-23-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm sure you would, since a good one will easily cost you the same as three Henry rifles.