PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaners

jrayborn
05-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experience with ultrasonic cleaners? There are quite a few available but they never seemed large enough to be worth the trouble to me. Lately I have seen some larger sizes in the $300 range. Does anyone use one?

I'd like to use it to help clean .22 silencers, pistols, and of course brass but I have no experience with actually using one and don't want to waste my money.

LUBEDUDE
05-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Like you I did not want to make such an investment myself without knowing the end result. Thus, I bought a $60-80 one from Harbor Freight to test the waters. I forgot how much it actually costs. I usually run simple green in it full strength and reuse it until it looks dirty.

I have had many hours of success out of it. Well worth the money. A complete Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel will not completely submerge in the tank. If that is what I want, then it will take two passes, i.e., flip it on the second pass.

When I buy used reloading equipement on ebay, I break it down and put in the tank. It comes out looking almost new at times!

Oh yeah, and this one heats up as well.

If the $300 one will take a 6" gun submerged, I think it would be worth the money.

Good Luck

Silver-Silver
05-26-2012, 08:20 PM
I have heard lots of people say they bought the HF model.

I bought this one because I wanted to do multiple handguns at one time or a suppressor. I called the manufacturer and had a custom one made up with multiple transducers with more power to get in the crevices of handguns and other stuff I am cleaning. Also pickup the plastic tray accessory if you want to do a rinse or lube after the cleaning.
http://www.sharpertek.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-sh180-6l.html

I am really on the fence if it was worth it or not. For brass cleaning stainless steel pins in a rotary tumbler work so good. It is more of a set it and forget it process. I could never clean enough brass in a load in the ultrasonic to seem worthwile. Cleaning, rinsing, load next batch, stand up cases and repeat.

For cleaning handguns and other stuff, it is so nice to have the ultrasonic cleaner.

To sum up my ramblings...
If you can find a cheap one give it a try but don't get your hopes up too high. It does clean really well, but the time it takes to stand there and baby-sit the thing wasn't worth it for me.

Another external link talking about results
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Daddyfixit
05-28-2012, 02:30 AM
For cleaning parts mine works good but for brass its not worth it imho
Doesn't hold enough and my vib cleaner with corn cob & polish works better
with less hassle
My $0.02