PDA

View Full Version : Is this actually a priming tool?

3006guns
05-25-2012, 10:51 PM
This just popped up on Ebay.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gunsmithing-Priming-Tool-Adjusts-for-Large-Small-Heads-/320913431363?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab7ee5b43

The pictures show it in both open and closed positions, but the ram (if that's what it is) never approaches where the case should be. It may be a priming tool but I've never seen one like it before.

Pressman
05-26-2012, 06:21 AM
Looks like some type of punch or "rivit" seater. Or something like that.

Ken

marvelshooter
05-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Looks like it could be. As the OP says the ram doesn't come near where the rim would normally sit in a priming tool. Just guessing here but maybe it does pistol length cartridges and pushes against the mouth of the case.

Mike Kerr
05-26-2012, 07:14 AM
I think Ken is correct it really looks like it might be for some sort of "rivet" seating, or something similar. Good question though - maybe more opinions will verify the answer.

regards,

:-D:-D:-D

Char-Gar
05-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Can't prime with it. Might be able to deprime with it, if you had a rod/pin of the right length.

flashhole
05-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Ask the seller for a picture with a case in the tool. Pics 2&3 show about the right amount of ram movement to seat a primer but the pics don't show how it holds a case.

Huntducks
05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
To me it looks like some proto type someone made.

I can see were it looks like it primes or deprimes.

Buy it and find out.

3006guns
05-27-2012, 07:39 AM
To me it looks like some proto type someone made.

I can see were it looks like it primes or deprimes.

Buy it and find out.

What?? Why, that opening bid would pay for two gallons of gas!..........almost.:bigsmyl2:

Green Frog
05-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Seller describes tool as "vintage" but that blue plastic or rubber coating says modern industrial application to me. I would go with the rivet school of thought unless I saw the item in action with a case and primer. Also, it appears that the seller is handling a wide variety of unrelated items, no others seeming to be shooting related, so I can't help but wonder how this item would be there and be shooting related(?) JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
05-27-2012, 02:42 PM
It is some kind of riveting or swaging tool. If you notice the head can be rotated to do two different sized tasks,

It is certainly not vintage as they didn't have plastic overlay handles in vintage times like that.

It might be German as they do black oxide finish alot of their generic tools.

It always bothers me when people buy stuff at garage sales and put them on Ebay not having the slightest clue what they are for. And have you noticed? they always say the item is "vintage" .

There is one outfit in the reloading tools section that has a Chinese Arbor press(just like the one I have in my shop) with a starting bid of $399! $39.95 is more like it and thats what I paid for mine 20 years ago.

They won't budge on the price either.

Best to just say uphhhhh! and move on.

Randy

LUBEDUDE
05-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Yeah, saw that press.

Get this, there is a micrometer in the Vintage reloading section with a Mechanical Digital numerical readout!

wv109323
05-28-2012, 11:30 PM
The Vintage micrometer with the digital readout is the "rare" ,"collector's item", "hard to find" Vintage micrometer with digital readout.

bbqncigars
05-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Oooh, I'll bet it's 'minty' as well.

Wayne

MtGun44
05-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Valve spring compressor?

Bill

Ziptar
06-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Did someone on this forum buy that thing?? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but.......

Not only is it not vintage, its not a Priming Tool, it's not even remotely gunsmithing or firearms related.

That tool looked familiar so I just dug through my tool chest.
Back in the mid 1990s I used to install "thin" Ethernet 10BASE2 computer networks. The network cabling was RG58 coax cable and everything was hooked together with BNC connectors that were crimped onto the cables. I still have the all of the tools I used. My connector "crimping" tool looks almost exactly like that one except mine is a different model, one of the plastic handles is blue-greenish.

Sure enough that "Vintage Gunsmithing: Priming Tool" is on the same manufacturer's website listed as their Fixed Compression Tool - CTF-200 (http://www.jonard.com/jonard-ecommerce/control/product/~category_id=BNC_F_CONNECTORS/~product_id=41493)
http://www.jonard.com/images/products/detail/41493.jpg

That is tool used to crimp connectors onto RG59 coaxial cable, it's something the the guys that install cable or satellite dishes would use.

Video of it in use: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fko8E1PLHxU#!

The upshot is at least whoever bought it got a good deal on a cable connector crimper.... Brand new they sell for $45.00. (http://www.frys.com/product/6549923;jsessionid=Qd2wTr8jpPx-ZDYfwFb2Kg__.node3?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG) :-)

Seeing as how the seller offers a 14 day return policy, I'd be looking to send it back and since it was listed as something its not, I'd be looking for the return shipping to be at their expense.

flashhole
06-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Mystery solved ... thanks for posting.