PDA

View Full Version : "Old Toast"

Beekeeper
05-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Not that anyone is interested but thought I would give you an update on "Old Toast".
As I took the black electricians tape off of the wrist I found it to be completely shattered.
I have made repairs and added a few pieces of walnut where needed
Have staked the repairs with bamboo skewers and acraglas so it will not come apart again!!
Modern Walnut and old time Walnut must not be the same stuff as I had to add a little die to the new stuff to get it to match.
As you see it, it has 3 coats of BLO on it and will put more on later.
Springfield armory states that the stocks were originally placed in a vat of boiling linsead oil and left for several hours so my way may not be too far off.

Metal parts are cleaned but not polished.Again the Armory stated they were supposed to be" Machine White" but I left them as you see them so they look their age.
The lock is complete with the exception of a broken sear spring.All other parts are complete including sling swivels that work.

Will begin on the barrel next week and hopefully have the entire rifle ready to give back to my SIL on Thanksgiving.
So far the only part missing on the barrel is a nipple and they as well as a spring are available both original and modern, only diference is a whale of a price.

Only problem I see on the barrel is retaping the nipple hole!(So Far, famous last words)
So stay tuned for more updates as time goes by

beekeeper

Beekeeper
05-25-2012, 09:04 PM
Forgot to put in the pictures

gnoahhh
05-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Looking good.

If it were mine I wouldn't fret about replacing the nipple. Leaving it out will further remove any temptation on someone's part down the road to fire it.

bob208
05-26-2012, 03:17 PM
is that a 1841 mississippi? if it is i think they were browned. harperfaires and springfields were armory bright.

Beekeeper
05-26-2012, 03:52 PM
It is an 1842 Springfiels Armory musket.
It originally was Armory bright but over the years of no maintenance it became "Maximum rust".
Since it is to be a wallhanger decided to leave a little of the color(rust) in place.
Maybe give it a little character.

beekeeper

bob208
05-26-2012, 09:09 PM
it is not called rust. it is called patina.

Beekeeper
05-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Maybe that is the official name but it still looks like rust to me.

Was seriously thinking about taking it back to factory white but changed my mind as it just didn't seem right.

beekeeper

05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Good idea to leave the finish as is. They were left bright from the factory but cutting, polishing the metal back to bright wouldn't look right at all. I'd just stick a nipple in it for appearance. If worried about someone going to the trouble of trying to shoot it... seems like they would very easily add a nipple anyway. It does look very good as a seasoned warrior now compared to the sad relic of before.