PDA

View Full Version : Good citizen

JeffinNZ
05-25-2012, 06:40 PM
So, on my way to work of a morning I set an old guy out racking up the leaves and sweeping the gutters on both sides of his street for maybe 30 yards in each direction either side of his house. Yesterday I was cycling by in a howling tailing wind and stopped to talk to him. I said that he had his work cut out with THAT wind. Turns out he is 80 years old but could pass for 70 easy and likes to keep working and busy. Of course being retired he has the luxury of a bit more time than most of us but what a fanastic advert he is for street pride. I told him so and rode on.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
05-26-2012, 12:39 AM
it's got something to do with getting up and doing work every day , my parents neighbor Mr. G started life on a farm . worked road construction till he was 65 , when he retired , he is out checking on the garden at 5am most mornings , then he would take a drive down to the cemetery for his retirement job as the keeper of the local cemetery he would be back and forth as needed , he is starting to slow down now well into his 80s probably closer to 90 , he just retired from his part time job at the cemetery , and turned it over to my uncle who retired a few years ago
he still keeps his yard very clean same with the house ,

very remarkable guy , he and his wife Mrs. G have always had a large garden and done a lot of canning and preserving , one of those really great neighbors

when i was a kid he showed me and another neighborhood kid how to get squirrel with our bows , later we would shoot hunting bows in the back yard for practice , he was bow hunting well into his seventies maybe longer. It started off he would take my dad and i fishing in his little boat on the smaller lakes in the area later it was us taking him fishing in our boat on lake Michigan. dad used to write me a note to get me out of my last hour of the day study hall they would pull over in front of the high school and pick me up on the way out of town and we would get an early start on fishing for the evening.

most every one i know of that is over 80-90 has found something to keep moving their hole life.

1Shirt
05-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I have watched over the years far to many people retire, vegitate in front of the TV, and pass away early. Both good postings.

Everyone ought to have a goal in life. Mine is to be shot at the age of 115 by the jealous husband of a 20 year old bride as I am going out the window. Now I know that won't happen, but at least it is a goal that keeps a smile on my face.
1Shirt1

hardy
05-28-2012, 10:43 AM
I have watched over the years far to many people retire, vegitate in front of the TV, and pass away early. Both good postings.

Everyone ought to have a goal in life. Mine is to be shot at the age of 115 by the jealous husband of a 20 year old bride as I am going out the window. Now I know that won't happen, but at least it is a goal that keeps a smile on my face.
1Shirt1

Hey 1 Shirt,with your attitude you,ll most probably survive and do it all over again you Casanova!!!LOL.Cheers, Mike.

JeffinNZ
05-28-2012, 07:27 PM
He was out there again this morning merrily raking away in the frost.