PDA

View Full Version : Just couldnt hold out any longer!! Ordered me a Marlin 45-70 guide gun today

Beagler
05-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Been telling the wife I wanted one for a while now. No one around me had any in stock except Cabelas and not going to pay there prices. So ended up ordering one from a shop thats on my way to work. So hopefully in a week or to I will have a nice new 1895G Pig thumper. So I figued what the hell while I'm burning up the bonus money. Might as well order the Ranch Dog mold and sizer for it. Hit up Midway with certificates and got checks, dies, crimper, brass and a zombie max t-shirt for the wife. Ever since joining BOOLITS I'm getting more Hooked on the big bores, and Lever Actions

454PB
05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I bought a stainless one slightly used a few years ago. It's a good shooter, but 50 rounds or so of the heavy weights at 1500 fps+ will give you a headache.

Beagler
05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
RD was out of the 300 grain so got the 350 grain. If I want more lead I will just use my handi in 500 s/w with the 440's

EDK
05-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Enjoy. I've been contemplating one of those "Little Big Guns" for awhile, but my 1895 Cowboy doesn't see the light of day very often....too d*** much 44 pistol and rifle shooting! I found a can full of RCBS 300 grain flat nose gas checks and another of un sized and lubed 350 grain plain base from a group buy mould here. (I had to hone the sizer die for the STAR out to .461 and may want to go larger.)

RANCH DOG/Michael is a genius designing boolit moulds. I've got a couple on my "buy list" for the near future.

:redneck::cbpour::guntootsmiley:

Beagler
05-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I got the 165 grain RD for my 30-30 and love it. Got a couple of guys at work to try the bullets I made in there marlins and they want more.

phaessler
05-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Enjoy it!! My Marlin is an 1895CB in .45-70. Fun to shoot with cast is an understatement.

Pete

Carolina Cast Bullets
05-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Beagler,
I got two of the 30 cal molds. When I get an order for em, its usually a big one and two molds doubles my production. Saves time.

As to the 45-70 molds, I've got the 350 from RDO. When you heat up the pot, you better have lots of alloy handy. 2100 Grains each pour does not take long to empty your pot, even if it is a 20 pounder.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Beagler
05-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Got Plenty of Alloy. Will be using my home made gas fired bottom dumper that holds about 40 pounds +/-
Beagler,
I got two of the 30 cal molds. When I get an order for em, its usually a big one and two molds doubles my production. Saves time.

As to the 45-70 molds, I've got the 350 from RDO. When you heat up the pot, you better have lots of alloy handy. 2100 Grains each pour does not take long to empty your pot, even if it is a 20 pounder.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

TXGunNut
05-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Saw a very nice used GG in the used rack @ the Ft Worth Cabelas when I picked up my catalog order today. Even had the muzzle brake. They had quite a few new 1895's from NY as well, didn't see a GG tho.

W.R.Buchanan
05-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Yes do start at the bottom when you load for that gun.

I shot long range Silhouette with mine which was similar to just shooting at the mountain in back of the targets, and I started with loads of 335 gr CG boolit and 25 gr of 5744. I shot loads from 25-35 gr that day and I must say the 35 gr charges were shootable but not pleasant for more than a few rounds.

I found out rather quickly that 25 gr of 5744 was about ALL I cared to shoot for 40 rounds. This is a very mild load, but my 1895 Cowboy with a 26" barrel only weighs 7 lbs 3oz!

I could get by firing a heavy load with a 400gr boolit once or twice in a hunting situation but shootin those heavy boolits more than that would not be a pleasant experience. The 35 gr/335gr laods were probably running around 15-1600fps, (which would knock down anything I ever would shoot at, but when I read about 400+gr boolits at 2000 fps I just cring. Stories of shooting 500 gr boolits in these guns give me a headache! Shooting Buffalo Bore or Garrett high performance ammo in one of these guns without working up to it would be a serious mistake!

These guns are very capible of dishing out a serious whallop that will kill anything on this planet... I have read about 400gr brass solids going clean thru an elephant from face to tail and keep right on going! That's nothing to sneeze at. Guides in AK and Canada carry these guns for good reason, they can deal with anything that needs dealing with, with confidence.

I might add that I have a serious Pachmayer Decelerator on my gun, and am actually looking at ways to install some lead into the stock to increase the weight. Really like to see 9 lbs on that gun, but I will probably have to restock it with denser wood to get it that heavy.

I would point out that the gun you have coming has an 18" barrel and a half length magazine and weighs closer to 6.0 LBS.

My whole point in telling you all this is to get you to realize that unless you are used to shooting heavy recoiling guns, you REALLY need to start out with a very light load and work up until you can't stand it any longer. Starting out with a heavy load will just get the snot kicked out of you and from that point forward you will be scared of the gun, and as a result it won't get shot as much.

Your gun also will NOT have that big thick Pachmayer Recoil pad on it, which you might want to consider having installed BEFORE you shoot it with heavy loads.

I'm not trying to be a ***** here, and I am not trying to scare you. All I am trying to do is impart a little "pre-respect" for what you are getting. These ones are not pop guns,,, they are the real deal.

But you done good getting one,,, and you will definately be the biggest pig in the field!

Randy

Beagler
05-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Yes Sir you are right they do thump ya. I was able to shot the same model gun I ordered. My ex-brother inlaw has one. Got to use it a couple times deer hunting. Been wanting one ever since.

JesterGrin_1
05-29-2012, 02:41 AM
He is very correct even to the point I would go out and purchase a GOOD recoil pad for the rifle the moment you get it even without a single shot fired lol.

Also be very careful on your scope purchase as far as eye relief. If you are not paying attention it WILL get you lol.

The Good points of the Marlin 1895 GS or GG. My GS simply amazed me at how accurate it is. Both with cast and jacketed bullets.

As for Bullets I prefer the Hornady 350Gr RN and the RD 350Gr RN/FP/GC. I would give you my loads but I am going to rework them simply because of RECOIL lol. I was pushing the 350Gr'ers around 1900 FPS and although very accurate at 1 3/4 and less at 100 yards they are to say the least PUNISHING at the bench lol. As in Rattle your Brains lol.

I would also like to add a theory of mine as far as bullet weight for the 45-70. I found I could not get near the accuracy from the 300Gr class of bullets as I could with the 350Gr and Up bullets. My theory is that the 300Gr bullet is just getting too short for the bore diameter and reducing bullet contact with the bore which reduces stabilization. But I could be wrong lol.

TXGunNut
05-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm familiar with three Guide Guns, all shoot like bolt guns. I have some pretty awesome hunting rifles (at least I think so!) and the GG is my go-to gun in every difficult hunting situation.
In a hunting situation you won't feel the "thump" of reasonable loads. I use a PAST pad on range trips.
If this GG doesn't go on every hunting trip (after you come up with a load for it) I'll buy it from you.

JesterGrin_1
05-30-2012, 01:44 AM
On a Further Note on the Ranch Dog site he has some good loading information for the 350Gr RN/FP/GC. The powder I have been using is H-322 with a Federal Standard Large Rifle Primer.

Here You Go. :) http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC460350RF/data/loadnotes01.pdf