PDA

View Full Version : rossi 92 shooting high

makicjf
05-25-2012, 09:38 AM
So my rossi 92 in 45 colt always shot high. like a foot on the lowest step. So I filed the back sight until it was hitting about 1/2 an inch high at 100 yards with nice groups with a lee 255 rnfp (262 actual) unsized over 10 of unique. Good shooter. Then I shot some thumpers, lee 300 gc (315 lla lubed and checked) sized .452 over 24 of h110 crimped into the lowest groove (1.640 I think) and they grouped 2 inches but were a 10 inches high at 100 yards. The lee 255 rnfp unsized over 24 h110 punched holes at exactly the same spot. 10 inches high 2 -2-3/4 inch 3 round groups. I was amazed at how high they hit.
I removed the elevator and just lightly electical taped the arm of the rear sight to the bbl so it would not wiggle and the groups dropped to 1/2 inch high of the X. Problem solved.
Why do the thumpers hit so high? I assumed the greater velocity would reduce the recoil effect? Or does the slower powder h110 with its cumulative build increase the bullet rise out of the bbl?
Lots to learn.
Jason

stocker
05-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Recoil and muzzle rise start before the bullet has left the barrel. The lighter the rifle and heavier the load the more rise. What you really need is a taller front sight rather than mess with the rear sight and tape.

makicjf
05-25-2012, 12:06 PM
That makes sense. The 315's recoil pretty sharply. A taller front sight is in the works (i'm pretty certain it came with the wrong post). The rifle will only eject starline , even after a trip to the gun smith, so a new extractor is on order from Brazil. I'm going to have the blade replaced then too.
thanks,
Jason

siamese4570
05-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Have the same problem on my 92-357 that I just bought. With the elevator all the way down, still shoots 8 - 12" high at 25 yds. got a peep sight ordered and will probably be replacing the front sight.

Siamese4570

missionary5155
05-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Greetings
For a quick fix expoxy a piece of copper wire to the top of your front sight. #14 wire worked well on my 45 Colt Rossi.
Mike in Peru

larryp
05-25-2012, 08:56 PM
The Rossi lever guns are notorious for shooting high. There is a site that sells replacement sights to correct for this problem. I had to get a higher front sight from them for my Ranch Hand. Solved the problem.http://store.stevesgunz.com/

ilcop22
05-26-2012, 12:50 AM
I had the same problem. The front sight height is incorrect for the rifle. For some reason, quite a few guns got past QC without the correct front sight installed. Unfortunately, the front dovetail cut is non-standard (oversized), so replacement sights typically need to be fitted. I swapped mine out for a set of hi-viz sights, taking a steel punch to crimp down the edges of the existing dovetail to fit. Works great, looks normal.

Ragnarok
05-26-2012, 11:26 PM
yeh...my stainless .44 mag carbine shot high when I got it last summer. Windage was/is perfect though.

I could take the elevation ramp out...and be close to point of aim at fifty yards.

My solution didn't take much effort...I just Dremaled the rear sight blade into a semi-buckhorn and recut the notch deaper. Shoots great now. Perfect at 50 yards..and on notch up on the elevation is perfect for 100 yards.

It took two shooting sessions and two Dremaling sessions to get it perfect. Maybe about 5 careful minutes Dremaling in all..and a bit of cold-blue time.

northmn
05-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Same problem with a 357. Even the 38 specials shot high. I have a needle file set and filed down the rear sight. Made it a little better for my older eyes while doing so as I increased the width of the notch to permit more light around the front sight.

DP