PDA

View Full Version : AA Hull stuck in deprimer

NZSarge
05-25-2012, 04:27 AM
I have a Mec Junior and for some reason a 12g AA Hull is stuck in the de-prime station?

Just de-priming normally and at about the 12th hull it was stuck, I don't get it.

As you lift the press again the hull lifts and comes half way out of the tube as it should, spins freely but will not come down and free.
Even tried light tapping down on the base rim to pop it off with a small hammer.
It is stuck fast.

Anyone else encountered this before? How do I fix this easily, without disassembling every lever and cam? Thanks...Sarge

oneokie
05-25-2012, 06:07 AM
Several methods.
First method:
Use an adjustable wrench adjusted to where it will just barely fit the hull above the rim and whack downward on the wrench with a hammer. You need to lock the carriage in the up position somehow or have an assistant hold the operating handle in the upper position.

Second:
Use something that fits between the depriming punch rod and the cam to try and force the hull off the depriming punch. You will have to play with the handle positon to determine how thick this item needs to be. I use a 7/16 open end wrench as a shim.

Third:
Use a knife of your choice to cut the head and base wad off of the hull. Then remove the outer tube of the depriming/size station from the carriage so that you can see and access the upper part of the hull to determine the best way to remove that part of the hull.

Rick N Bama
05-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Since I have the same press & use a lot of AA hulls I'm interested in the outcome of this. I'm also interested in knowing what caused the problem. That's one that has never happened to me.

Rick

tomme boy
05-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Is the hull the new HS hull or a older one piece? I had some of the newer ones do the same thing. It was sticking on the base wad. It just happens.

Hamish
05-25-2012, 03:00 PM
"Anyone else encountered this before?"

Yup. Getta bigger hammer. Sandpaper polish the deprimer post.

skeettx
05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Yes, and do you have a 16 gauge or a 3" 12 gauge hull mixed in?
The center expander may have captured the hull
I take a pair of pliers and grasp the hull just ahead of the rim
and then take a hammer and drive it off the expander.
Mike

p.s. I switched my expander to a 16 gauge expander :)

After the offending hull is removed, the tube that holds the sizing ring is easily unscrewed
with padded slip jaw pliers. Then loosen the lock nut on the expander, unscrew the
decapper/expander and either polish it or use a 16 gauge decapper/expander.

NZSarge
05-27-2012, 04:51 AM
Embarrassingly the top of the hull had folded over around the crimp folds, effectively making the hull plastic double thickness.

These are used AA one piece hulls and obviously slightly bowed in at the top, just careless I guess.

I should be more careful at this stage. Large pliers around the top of the brass gave enough purchase to hit down with a hammer and pushed it off.
Thank you for the advice from everyone...

jsizemore
05-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Is this the AA hull with the AA in a box?

skeettx
05-27-2012, 03:22 PM
SWEET!!!
Congratulations on the Victory
Rave on !!!
Mike