PDA

View Full Version : Cast for Ruger GSR - Hi Power Rifle matches.....

LeMat
05-25-2012, 01:06 AM
I'm really enjoying using my Ruger GSR in our local high power rifle matches. We use the Sporting Rifle rules as most everyone uses a hunting rifle. I'm not using a scope and you can sure tell by my scores! :lol: I'm in serious need of new glasses, but all of my round are on paper, I'm having a ton of fun and getting some quality bonding time with my rifle.

Anyway, I've been using Hornady 150SP's over 46.2gr of BL-C(2). Shoots nice, but those jacketed bullets are getting just too expensive for the amount I'm shooting.

I don't cast my own and am wondering if those of you in the know could tell me a good place to buy bulk cast for 308. I've got a Lyman 47th manual, and am not sure which style or weight would work well for punching paper. Something that will work well at 100 meters is all I need.

I lube all of my bulk pistol bullets (SNS Casting, Missouri Bullet Co.) with Lee Liquid Alox. Figured I would use it with the 308 bullets as well.

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp240/LeMat_photos/guns%20for%20forums/DSCF2536.jpg

W.R.Buchanan
05-25-2012, 09:52 PM
LeMat: If you do a search you can find the outfits that sell premade cast boolits, However they aren't that much cheaper than jacketed bullets.

I buy Recycled M80 Jacketed bullets from GI brass and Hightech Brass for much less than new bullets. 11-15 cents each.

All that said,,, you need to start casting your own.

A good mould to start with for this gun is Lyman 311299. Only then will you start to get what you are looking for with the RGS77.

A loaded round with a home made Boolit from recycled wheel weights will cost you about 5-7 cents to make. It will cost you about $100 to get up and running.

Randy

LeMat
05-25-2012, 10:01 PM
I would love to be able to cast my own. Thing is that between work, a 1 year old and a 2 year old, and a small townhouse, I just don't have the room or the time to cast. One day I will, just not today. ;)

I just got lambasted on another forum for asking about this and was told to come here to ask. Sure hope I don't get treated the same here.

W.R.Buchanan
05-26-2012, 01:47 PM
LeMat: people here are a little more respectful of the newbie and try to help them in any way they can.

IF you can't get into casting for whatever reason the solution to your ammo problem could be in buying the recycled bullets like I get.

These are pulled from government stock piles of M80 Ball (the standard 7.62x51 Nato round) which have Shelf Lifed out. The bullets are then ran thru a sizing die to remove any out of roundness and then tumble polished to where they essentially look brand new. The bullets, powder, and cases are all resold.

The last price I paid last year sometime was $110/1000 and the bullets are 147gr FMJBT's. They have gone up slightly, but are still much cheaper than new Factory bullets from anyone. I have gotten a 7/8" 5 shot group out of these bullets from My RGS77 Scout. They shoot just as well as more expensive new bullets, and for your purposes might be the best answer.

I use 45 gr of IMR4895 as my standard load and my Ruger Scout responds well to this load.

Try http://www.hi-techammo.com/

http://www.gibrass.com/index.html

Both of these outfits have recycled M80 bullets for sale for a reasonable price.

If you don't have time to reload sometimes then I would suggest buying American Eagle brand (Federal).308 ammo at gunshows. It is usually 10.95 a box and is the cheapest good quality ammo you can buy. 54.5 cents per round is not bad for new stuff and it will also provide you with cases that can be reloaded many times.

Hope this helps.

Randy

seagiant
05-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi LeMat,
Randy just gave you about the best advice your going to get. I have used surplus bullets for the past 20yrs. and probably bought most from Jeff Bartlett at G.I. Brass! A nicer more experienced shooter you are not going to find!

LeMat
05-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Well thanks! That sounds like a really good idea. I'm able to sneak away every so often to reload and need to get some more loaded up before the next match next Saturday. I'll got just enough 150SP's left, but need to restock after that.

I think I may try it. Those are nice prices for bulk jacketed bullets. I may pick up some 223 as well and get to shoot the Mini 4 more often as well. Thanks! :D

GabbyM
05-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Gas checked cast bullets are labor intensive. Since there are no high rate production machines to place a gas check upon a boolit base. Once you pay a person minimum wage to check and size bollits they are clsoe to J bullet price. Most of us here find teh time to make up our boolits by cuting into our TV time. It does pay off better than posting on the internet forums. I't s a great hobby if you have the time at hand.

Jailer
05-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Top Brass still has M80 pull downs for $125/1K plus 10% off for memorial day weekend. That's $112.49 plus shipping. I'm buying some while I still can at this price.

http://www.topbrass-inc.com/reloading-supplies/product_details.php?category_id=28&item_id=347

Bodydoc447
05-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Heck of a good deal! I got my order in, too. Anticipating my GSR coming in. Thanks for the heads up!

Doc

Frank46
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
LeMat, welcome to the forum. Frank

HARRYMPOPE
05-30-2012, 01:02 AM
for 100 yards a commercial 115g PB bullet for the 32 magnum/32-20 will often shoot 10 shots into 2.0"-2.5" at about 1100- 1300.You would have to find some in .309-.310 for your 308 i would guess.(Oregon Bullet i think has these)If you can only get them bigger(.313-.314) buy a Lee push die and size them .309 and slobber them in the alox you have been using.About 5-7g of Bullseye will do it.No fillers or anything to hold back the small charge needed.

George

Artful
05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
I would love to be able to cast my own. Thing is that between work, a 1 year old and a 2 year old, and a small townhouse, I just don't have the room or the time to cast. One day I will, just not today. ;)

Start looking for your lead to store it up now, that way when you are ready to cast you can get to it. - as far as no room - you can put all you need to cast into a messenger bag - No really - not much room required. [smilie=1:

Years ago I used a white gas single burner camp stove, had a pot that the stove fit in, you can use an inexpensive Lee single cavity mold and a dipper, and old pan with cake cutter to lube with as I've not had much luck with rifle rounds and LLA. The choice is yours as far as equipment. More equipment speeds things up but doesn't make a better boolit. Now time wise that's another story. :lol: