PDA

View Full Version : You got a bigger one ( can opener )

gwpercle
05-24-2012, 07:50 PM
This is a can opener picked up years ago at a junk/antique store in Hammond, La.
At the time the wife and I were collecting can openers. Our rule was to never pay more than $6.00 for one. This place sold a lot of tools , farm implements , blacksmith tools and was a favorite place to get stuff. When moving a cabinet the other day I found it on the floor out of sight. Got to looking at letters cast into it " REICHSHEER - 1943 - PeDe " So typed that into google and low and behold it's a German Army WWII field kitchen can opener worth about $95.00!

It clamps to a table, the top wooden handle pierces the can and engages the cutting wheel and the big crank does the work. Of course I had to photo it lying down, J frame S&W is for scale. It's about 16 inches in length.

Have Can Opener , Will Travel
Wire gary, Baton Rouge

SciFiJim
05-25-2012, 12:16 AM
That is a very interesting bring back souvenir that some soldier picked up when "over there".

gwpercle
05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
What G. I. in his right mind would lug that heavy thing back to the states when he could bring back a P-08 Luger or Walther P-38 as a war trophy? The only thing I can think of is a US Army cook... He might think this to be a great souvenir, maybe somthing he could use back home in the restaurant he was going to open.

If only this can opener could talk... Does anyone else have one or has seen one like this ? I was totaly amazed to discover this thing was German Army WWII, you would think US Army stuff like this would be common but I haven't come across any of them.
gary

SciFiJim
05-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I was thinking that it was probably some young G.I kid whose parents had a restaurant and he thought that they would find it interesting.