PDA

View Full Version : Started casting R/B for my 54 again

FRJ
05-24-2012, 07:17 PM
I was paying over $20.00 a hundred for the Hornady R/B's for my 54 cal muzzleloader. It just got to be too much. I layed out the money for a mold,handles, pot, and ladle and 40# of lead. Total cost $150.00. I molded up over 700 54cal R/B's and a few hundred 45 cal R/B's. That would be about $170.00 worth of balls. From now on they will only cost me a few pennies each instead of twenty cents apiece!!!!! What a savings and they shoot great as good or better than the Hornady's. With the cost of bullets getting so rediculously high I am now going to buy a 30 caliber mold for my 30/30 and save a bunch more on bullets for it . Guess I'm hooked on this molding game. FRJ

HARRYMPOPE
05-25-2012, 12:16 AM
I cast all of my CF rifle and pistol stuff.When i got back to shooting Muzzleloaders with roundball i had no intention of wanting to cast for them.Then i ran out of my surplus of roundballs.WOW what they want for them now.So like you i now cast for all of my roundball guns.At 200 shots with RB a week it started to add up.

George

horsesoldier
05-25-2012, 01:36 PM
cast my first boolits yesterday, 575 roundballs for my muzzleloader!

whtsmoke
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
The thought of a lead ball being purchased in a box just isnt right, basics is what its about. LOL

OverMax
06-23-2012, 08:10 AM
When I first started casting it was for my convenience of not having to run to the store or ordering thru the mail. My Mag 20 Lyman cost me $53.00 new from Midway back then. (I still have its receipt) Lead, a couple molds & handle, w/ Lyman pot dipper. I had about a Benjamin into the whole set up. At that time I kind of had seconds thoughts "Gee was this new hobby worth the money I had to fork out just to cast 45-54 balls for my smoke poles." All those years of casting every now and then are now under the Bridge. "Gee how could I have not done so." These days the question is " I wonder what a flint looks like laying on the ground. Reason to wonder : I can't afford Caps now if and when I can, find them.:roll:

Maven
06-23-2012, 09:48 AM
"These days the question is " I wonder what a flint looks like lying on the ground. Reason to wonder : I can't afford caps now, if and when I can, find them."

OverMax, This will make you cry: Three weeks ago my wife and I traveled to the U.K., Liss, specifically, to visit old friends. We also went to Winchester and the Portchester area. In both places, you wouldn't believe the amount of flint lying about. Some of it was large enough to be knapped for gun use. (I brought home a couple of pieces, but they're a bit small.)

Fly
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Ya, caps are my biggest expense.I cast my balls,make my own patches
make my own powder, make my own felt wads.I love the savings but
I also like knowing I made them all.

But caps, are still the problem.
Fly

grullaguy
06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Ya, caps are my biggest expense.I cast my balls,make my own patches
make my own powder, make my own felt wads.I love the savings but
I also like knowing I made them all.

But caps, are still the problem.
Fly

Sounds like a good reason to get and flintlock and start knapping your own flints.;-)

JeffinNZ
06-23-2012, 04:12 PM
I haven't bought RB in many years. I shoot a pair of .40cal rifles and have two matching single cavity Lyman .395 moulds. About once a year I fire up the pot with pure lead and alternate both moulds. I do a BIG run and it keeps me going.