PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Truline Jr. Turret Press

44Vaquero
05-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I decide I wanted/needed a vintage press to play with and got lucky! I have always been interested in 310 tools and this turret uses them. It also came with a set 45 Colt dies!

Pressman
05-24-2012, 08:08 PM
It looks like it is new. Nice find. I began my reloading career on a TL-Jr press. Still a great tool.

Ken

44Vaquero
05-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Pressman, it is currently in-transit so I have not seen it yet. According to the seller it has been used but you could sure fool me. Compared to some of the others I have seen on E-Bay it appears unused.

3006guns
05-24-2012, 08:19 PM
I recognize the picture as I almost bid on it! Cold, hard, rational common sense prevailed though....I already have one and two would be "gluttony".

You're going to enjoy playing with that little guy. Just remember it's designed to neck size only, so keep your brass segregated if you're using different firearms. Enjoy!

44Vaquero
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
3006guns, Thanks for letting me have it. LOL I think I am going to keep it old school and get a set of 30-30 and 38 S&W (to feed my Webley) in addition to the 45's that came with it.

kenyerian
05-24-2012, 08:39 PM
I had it on my watch list. Good luck with it.

seagiant
05-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi,
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! You got this all wrong Jim! You need to put that loader packaged up in the original packing and box up in the attic,saving it for collectors! Then go back to ebay or a gun show and find the raunchiest Pacific or CH press you can find! When you here things like,"Well the handle used to move!" you know your getting close!!!

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/J/JO004.html

44Vaquero
05-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Seagiant, I did look at a couple of those and decided to pass on them. I wanted to be able to use an antique, not look at it like a still life.
Thanks for the link on about Ben, It's good to see people still remember the real Cowboy's!

seagiant
05-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Hi,
Just play'in with ya! Nice loader! It's enjoyable to me to use the old equipment! Enjoy!

44Vaquero
05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Seagiant, I am just happy these posts did not end up on the"e-bay strikes again" thread.
We should start a lost cause thread, I came across a few!

3006guns
05-24-2012, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=seagiant;1721469]Hi,
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! You got this all wrong Jim! You need to put that loader packaged up in the original packing and box up in the attic,saving it for collectors!

Let's see, disassemble, degrease and clean, repaint with Krylon and reassemble. "Yup.....looks like it's never been used and I'll sell it to you real reasonable!"

Seriously, what can go wrong with these old cast iron wonders that a little clean up won't fix? Use it!!!

Just remember that the Jr. is a SMALL press........don't ask it to do the job of a larger, beefier unit and it will give you pleasure for years.

(Wish I'd have thought of that with my ex wife.............:))

LUBEDUDE
05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Nice find.

Old tools Rock!

seagiant
05-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi 44,
I know what you mean! In the past month I have bought:
2-Dillon RL 300 Progressives
1-Pacific Power C Single stage
1-Herter's Pro 390 Shotshell Progressive
1-Texan Model M-II Shotshell Progressive

Don't ask me why I just saw some things I had been keeping my eye on for literally years and the Universe turned them my way and I grabbed! Like you I won't go into how many I didn't get!

Wayne Smith
05-25-2012, 10:59 AM
I had it on my watch list also, same issue, already have one and need the #14 shell holder rather than another one. If I had the room and the money!! Already have the TrueLine Jr. my original RCBS Jr2, a Hollywood Sr single, and a Brown Bair. Plus an RCBS lube sizer and a Lyman. No room for any more, but have a Pacific Pro 12 ga press on my watch list to dream. No place for it, but a Buy Now price that can't be beat is tempting!

Char-Gar
05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
I have a Lyman 55 powder measure of the same vintage and condition , in the box with all of the papers. If you would like it to make a set, let me know and we will strike a deal of some sort.

44Vaquero
05-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Char-Gar, that's a very tempting offer I will send you a PM after the holiday.

Green Frog
05-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Now you've gone and done it! Start looking for the original TL Jr die sets (especially the FL sizer dies for the pistol cartridges) and of course those J-type shell holders. I've spent a long time getting my set together, only to find out each time I think I'm finished that there is something else I "absolutely must have!"

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that you can get the push-in dies to full length size rifle (or other) cartridges to save having to overwork the little press. They were originally designed to be used with a hammer or a bench vise, but I've actually built my own little arbor press to do that job.

You won't want to do huge volumes on this little press, but for moderate numbers of rounds, especially pistol rounds, I find it to be great.

Regards,
Froggie

44Vaquero
05-25-2012, 09:11 PM
GF, there were also a bullet sizing dies, but I do not know if it was only meant for use with the 310 tongs or not.
Actually once the press arrives I planned on paying a visit to my Grandfather and making a few die sets. It's really great to have a Master Pattern Maker on the pay roll. He is very old school/neanderthal, made all his own reloading equipment with the exception of a 16g Mec Jr.

Green Frog
05-27-2012, 08:27 AM
44V, I believe those bullet sizing dies were used mainly with the TL Jr press, although they could have been used (somewhat awkwardly it would seem) with the tong tools. I have several but dislike them because you must somehow pre-lube them before they go through the sizing die to avoid smearing the grease grooves shut. That represents one good idea from Ideal that probably wasn't (IMHO! :D)

Froggie

44Vaquero
05-27-2012, 11:36 AM
GF, I would guess that back in the day most people Pan lubed their boolits and used some type of Kake Kutter to remove them. I have not seen Ideal/Lyman's version but it must work similar to Lee's push through sizing dies?

44Vaquero
05-29-2012, 02:39 PM
I love getting new toys in the mail! Yes, the press has arrived. A quick inspection reveals a solid press that has not seen much use. Most if not all the dirt and grime on it are age related. I actually had to clean cardboard dust out of the turret plate die holes. Indexing is tight and has a nice solid feel, lever motion is very smooth and easy.

As advertised the dies and shell holder are 45 colt (the decapping pin is missing). It's interesting the instructions (dated 1956) list the pistol sizing die as a "full length" sizing die.

Now to find a home for this one on the reloading bench. Decisions, decisions!